Best course of action at this stage? ($300 budget)
Aug 29, 2006 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cvince

100+ Head-Fier
I am wondering what is the best upgrade in terms of price/improvement in sound quality for around $300.

My rig is as follows:

Pioneer DV525->Gilmore lite-> Grado HF-1s

I've been doing some research recently, and I am currently contemplating the purchase of a Zhaolu D2.0 toslink'd to a Chaintech AV-710 in my PC. Would this be the best way to spend $300? Or are there even better methods of which to improve sound quality like a better CDP, headphones (I hope not), or a better sound card?

Aug 29, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 5
Upgrading your source would be a good idea. You could get a spec'd out Zhaolu at your budget, or you could buy a stock one and mod it yourself. Dont know much about the Chaintech but I am using a HagUSB as my transport to my computer and I love it.

Aug 30, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 5
Grado cans love tubes, so I would sell the Gilmore Lite for about $225 or so. I would look for an used tube amp like a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 or V3. Maybe if you get lucky an used Mapletree Ear Purist + HD.

If you can find an use Mapletree which used go for about $450 to $525 that would be right in you price range of $500 ($300 plus $225 from the sale of the Gilmore). If not go for the Musical Fidelity whcih sell for $175 for the V2 and $300 for the V3. The I would have the Musical Fidelity modded "a la" PinkFloyd.

Good luck.

Sep 6, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Grado cans love tubes, so I would sell the Gilmore Lite for about $225 or so. I would look for an used tube amp like a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 or V3. Maybe if you get lucky an used Mapletree Ear Purist + HD.

If you can find an use Mapletree which used go for about $450 to $525 that would be right in you price range of $500 ($300 plus $225 from the sale of the Gilmore). If not go for the Musical Fidelity whcih sell for $175 for the V2 and $300 for the V3. The I would have the Musical Fidelity modded "a la" PinkFloyd.

Good luck.

really?

I've heard that grados have an awesome synergy with the gilmore lite. Is this untrue?

Sep 6, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 5
From what I've heard, the Gilmore Lites were designed partially with Grado cans in mind, now, whether that means there's any special synergy or not I do not know. I doubt you could go wrong with a Gilmore Lite, but personally, I'm looking more into the Headfive for my SR-60's, and hopefully some SR-225's in the not-too-terribly-distant future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back