Best cost/price ration amp for Sennheiser HD600
Jan 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

heda_p

New Head-Fier
Just bought this model being new to headphone world wondering will I be seeing any difference if I use an amp connect to my comp easpecially, if yes how much I can expect...

I am looking forward to hear mp3/online TV mostly from computer(without external sound card, though have onboard HD audio)

Portable amp is what I am looking for as I have laptops/mobiles/PSP2000 also which I can benifit from...

Not looking for very high end amp thus appriciate any cheap and best option...

Thanks ~ Prakash

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 10
since I am overwhelmed by the number of amps available here...can you suggests any portable good amps which fits my requirements (good for computer listening) and doesn't cost too much

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 10
there are quite a few suggestions here as well

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/bes...-hd600-289579/

i'd actually be quite hesitant regarding an e3 for a hd600, it doesnt do it any justice to most full sized headphones for starters, much much less the hd600s

the predator iirc was designed with the hd600 as a reference, and the pico with the hd650, but i might have gotten the 2 mixed.

although i must say that i think unless theres an exceptional circumstance requiring a portable you'd be far better served by a full sized ac powered desk amp for the hd600s

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 10
Forget portables, the HD600 will not be adequately driven by them and you will have spent several hundred dollars on mediocre performance.

The first suggestions that come to mind are either the Gilmore Lite or the CKKIII.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forget portables, the HD600 will not be adequately driven by them and you will have spent several hundred dollars on mediocre performance.

The first suggestions that come to mind are either the Gilmore Lite or the CKKIII.

X2 (what he said). Amping is more then volume, its about providing the proper power to drive it fast and accurately to control sound stage and detail by vibrating the drivers correctly. A battery powered amp can not usually get enough power to vibrate your headphone diaphragm accurately, even though it does technically vibrate it more for higher volume. The LISA III does it a little better then most if you have no option, but its still not going to give the justice a real home electricity powered amplifier can give.

Just to note, the e3 is hardly an amp as much as it is a low pass filter according to its frequency chart (I also have two that I have listened to) as well. (deadens the highs, emphasizes bass)

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 10
So now i know DAC and AMP are both needed to have it run with computer/laptop...

Based on suggestions and reviews looks like iBasso D1 version 2 is an all in one option and everybody feels good about it...

I coudn't find where to order it though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back