Best/Coolest Old School Boombox/Ghettoblaster?
May 13, 2004 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

veritas

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I am interested in buying a really old school full metal boombox for pure retro flavor. However, despite my knowledge about PCDPs, I don't know the first thing about ghettoblasters, let alone tapes. So if anyone here knows something about them, please feel free to grace me with your wisdom!

May 14, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 25
You mean something like this??

2614734.jpg

May 14, 2004 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 25
Neat site; it's amazing that people collect almost anything. I especially like the units with the analog VU meters on them. I don't know how practical they are on those machines but back in the day i preffered them when i was recording to the led ones. They actually taught me a bit about music dynamics. Makes we want to try to find and fix my old Sony monster. Which for a boombox had quite clean and loud sound

So now where is the site for vintage open reel recorders? although this may not be the right forum
k1000smile.gif

May 14, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 25
This was my personal sound source for about two years. I gave it to my brother and he still uses it. JVC RC-M90 -- accept no boombox subsititute. A sweet ride. Solenoid controls were the best. Classy on a boombox (I hate the term ghettoblaster). I paid almost $400 for it. But if it was good enough for L.L. Cool J, it's good enough for me. (I had mine first, BTW).

B0000024JP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

May 14, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #11 of 25
Back in the days, late 70's to early 80's. I rember that JVC and Pioneer were all the rage when it came to booboxes. Big, loud, and mean sounding. Don't see much of them around these days.

May 14, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 25
Damn, Veritas, why did you post this thread? Now you've got my adreneline pumping. I hadn't thought about that boombox of mine for years. Then I was goofing around and followed that link to the boombox collectors site. Mine is the holy grail of boomboxes! They consider $800 a fair price and one of the only two they've ever seen on ebay sold with a Buy It Now of $950! Holy jezus! I just shot off an email to my brother saying he's going to be handing back that boombox, pronto. He can call me an Indian giver all he wants.
lambda.gif
I'll buy him a damn ipod!

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 25
I'm going to bump this years old thread...

My brother wants a battery powered portable ghetto blaster, preferably with an auxiliary input for his DAPs. The sound doesn't have to be amazing, it just shouldn't clip/distort or sound too cheesy.

Retro look would be nice.

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 25
How DARE you bump a thread like this!!!11ONE >_< Now, I want to restore a boombox. Well, I suppose I could settle for building something like this:

hxxp://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/podzuma/index.cfm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back