Best consumer headphones between $30 and $80? (supra-auricular; whatever the use)
Aug 31, 2014 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Wunderborg

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Since I am new here, it's possible that this thread is not in the right section. If so, please, let me know where it should be, and I will contact an admin or start a new post elsewhere.
First, here's my little story : I'm 20 and I just found myself a job at Future Shop (a canadian electronic store, a bit like Best Buy but where sales advisers are paid according to their sales, which means you get service and explanations about products, unlike most of the time at Best Buy) about a week and a half ago, as a sales adviser in the ''Connected Solutions'' department (a.k.a. computing, camera, and audio sections of the store). I have been employed (partly) because of my knowledge in the fields of video, photography and audio, and so that's probably what I'll mostly be selling.

But here's the situation : since I am somewhere between a prosumer and a professionnal regarding audio, I haven't really had any significant experience with material and products under a $150 pricetag. But, of course, most people who come to the store aren't looking for something above $100 or $80, and some people don't even want to spend more than $30 of $40 dollars for headphones (peasants... :p ). So, I'm often confronted with this situation : what to recommend between $30 and $80?

Considering most people aren't looking for as much quality as I or some people would, I'm not looking for a miracle. But still, I'd like to know which models to recommend to my costumers so that they come back home happy about their purchase, or even come to the store again some day to look for better cans because they've gotten to realize how important sound quality can be... But I know, that last past is mostly an impossible dream, but still, I'd like them to be satisfied at the very least.

So, just to wrap it up a bit and simplify this : what are the best headphones (and earphones, if you happen to know some), in terms of bang-for-the-buck, in the $30 to $80 price range? (preferably, a couple of suggestions, so that I'll be able to recommend something that will satisfy every costumer, even those who are looking for $30 headphones)

Thanks already for your help already!

PS. Since I still need to be able to make some money out of these sales (since we're paid the minimum wage, the rest of our pay being generated by our sales), the suggested models have to be available at Future Shop, either in-store or online. I suggest you take a look at FutureShop.ca to see what brands we're selling.

For headphones between $25 and $99, the brands we carry are :

- 385 Audio
- Audio-Technica
- California Headphone
- Cyber Acoustics
- Dreamgear
- Gear4
- Insigna
- JVC
- Koss
- Meelectronics
- Panasonic