Best connection - Tape out or switch box?
Dec 7, 2006 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Johnny5alv

New Head-Fier
Hi

After (finally) deciding on my headphone Amp I now need to connect multiple devices to it. I can either use one set of RCA cables going from the tape out on my power amp to the headphone amp or I could buy 3 sets of RCA cables going from each device into a switch box then an RCA cable going from that into my HP Amp..

I'd like to use the method least likely to cause signal degradation if that applies to this... I was looking for a 'good' switch box that has gold plated plugs but cant find one.

Thanks for any input

Jon

Dec 8, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 8
tape out

Dec 8, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 8
Oh lovely, that's 'music' to my ears

It's actually an integrated amp I think, but I doubt that matters.. I'm very much a newbie and don't fully get what is what (pre amp, power amp, integrated amp etc).

Thanks lots
icon10.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Either choice is really the same since there are the cables and a switch in the signal path. Tape out doesn't go through the main amps electronics - it comes off of the input selector switch.

Dec 8, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 8
I believe if you call Lloyd Peppard at www.mapletreeaudio.com he will make you a switching device to your own specs, but if you specify high quality silver wire that ought to be good enough. Call him. He is always open to modifications.

If you take the source signal from your tape loop output or monitor (which ever you have), that bypasses (is in front of) the gain stage and volume control and is probably a pretty short path. But that's just one connection in.

It's 6-1/2 dozen of the other. Call Dr. Lloyd.

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 8
I'd suggest that before spending any more money you do some comparisons with connecting the source direct to the Headphone amp and connecting it via the tape out of your main amp. Unless there is a definite degradation of sound (and I'd check the black resolution first to determine this) then there's no need to upgrade with a special unit.

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing I may have overlooked is that my sources connect to my main amp via optical. Do Tape Outs generally convert digital signal or not? I'm not currently in a position to test it but if it doesn't I will see about having a decent switch box made.

Thanks again
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back