Best cones / spikes for tube amp?
Dec 19, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #16 of 21
Dec 20, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #17 of 21
Here's the current setup:

On the microphonics: the weird thing is that 1 tube is, 1 isn't. And it's a matched pair....

I'd suggest installing silicone damper rings on the tube(s). The odds are, they should solve the problem.

FWIW, my driver tubes are so microphonic that I can hear them ringing through the cans by simply inserting the HP jack into the plug. The rings did a great job.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #19 of 21
So what did I miss in the Gary Koh paper?

The determinants of coupling and decoupling, the very topic of the paper. It's as if you didn't actually read it.

Why would a headphone amp be subject to vibrations?

You're the one who wanted to put the amp on a subwoofer, and now you change your tune, as if it never happen, into an opposite perspective. Very dishonest, intellectually. BTW, might help if you read the thread, and not in the same way as you glanced at Gary's paper.

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #20 of 21
I started this thread, and would appreciate if we would stay nice to one another. Really. Thanks.

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #21 of 21
Not interested in a debate but the theory is to use a small contact area as a mechanical choke and to decouple the item from a more massive cabinet etc that will tend to store energy for a longer duration. The best way to do this is not to use spikes on the piece of kit as it does tend to add more variables in terms of how it couples or decouples. Generally a light, nonresonant but relatively rigid shelf about the size of the unit with a clean top side and short, rigid, low contact areas directly below the feet works best. Other methods may be preferred for voicing but this tends to be the least sig inducing with the prescribed benefits. Not using the unit's feet may also defeat whatever voicing may have been part of the original build. What is not up for debate is that tubes and semiconductors are microphonic. Whether it's significant enough to hear may be and it may be qualitatively dependant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back