Best Concerts of 2008
Apr 29, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #16 of 32
here I am.. bumping my own thread. I feel a little lame.

is this thread even warranted? There is already the "which concerts have you seen?" thread, but I notice there is very little discussion going on and I would like to create a place for people who go to a lot of shows to discuss upcoming events or talk about how amazing last night's performance was.

This last weekend before classes end I am for some reason seeing three shows, I better be able to get all my homework done as well.
Budos Band, Yelle then Shearwater performing their upcoming album Rook.

I am most excited to see Shearwater. It is at a venue I haven't been to yet and is apparently a seated show. I cannot remember the last seated show I went to, it might have been Bob Dylan several years ago which was also my first concert.

Yelle will be great too I think. I don't love her record, but I did see her in March at the Knitting Factory and she is an amazing performer. Energetic, funny, subtle, attractive in general. She and her band created a really good atmosphere.

The best show I have seen of 2008 so far is Boris at the Knitting Factory. A very profound experience with music. They are coming again this summer, but to a larger venue I don't like quite as much, but I am sure it will be great nonetheless. I didn't even like them too much before the show, but if you have any type of tolerance for metal/noise whatever I highly recommend trying to catch them this summer when they tour.

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #17 of 32
My son and I are going to see Rush in June. Is first concert! :)

He's a budding drummer so he's stoked to see his idol Neal Peart.

It should be fun for the both of us. Rush puts on a heck of a show.

Apr 29, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #18 of 32
I went to see Elbow in concert a few weeks ago, who were superb! Also off to see The Pigeon Detectives on Sunday so can't wait!

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #19 of 32
hurricane festival in germany - radiohead and sigur ros on the same stage on the same night plus tons of others. i'm going to stand in the front row for 10 hours if thats what i takes to get front row center -its going to happen

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #20 of 32
Best show this year was Symphony X at House of Blues. Oh wait, it was the only show...
frown.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #21 of 32
I hope to see Nine Inch Nails on August 27 at the Izod Center in the Meadowlands. I'm not so sure if I'll be able to afford tickets, but if I do, it would be a great way to kick off my college experience (2 days after, August 29, I'll be moving into my dorm).

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #23 of 32
Awaiting Ween and Flaming Lips later this summer. Can't wait!!!

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #24 of 32
I've got tickets to see Radiohead in August. So excited! Also, NIN is coming to my town so I'm looking forward to that, too.

May 27, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #27 of 32
Went to see Pigeon Dectectives about a month ago in leeds who were great, crowd was also interesting with several fights almost breaking out. Also went to see We are Scientists in Manchester a couple of weeks ago who were superb.

May 28, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #29 of 32
So far this year I've been to the Houston 100 and Buzzfest XXI (both local festivals).

At Buzzfest, Billy Talent and Story of the Year were freaking amazing.

My Chemical Romance was kind of disappointing though... I've seen them five times (Buzzfest included) and they were obviously just worn out, and not really 'on' that night.

The Houston 100 introduced me to a few new bands, my favorite of which is known as Thea. I'm also into another band I met named July Alive.

I've got videos from both shows here.

The rest of the year looks pretty good for me. I'm going to Crüe Fest in July. I'm not really a fan of Papa Roach or Trapt, but Buckcherry is a favorite of mine, and Mötley Crüe should be a good show.

After that, the Metal Masters Tour (Judas Priest, Heaven and Hell, Motörhead, Testament) is coming in August. It's my first Motörhead show, so I'm pretty excited.

EDIT: And of course, Warped Tour. Good job me for forgetting... I've had tickets to the last TWO Say Anything shows in Houston, but both times I got injured in some way and couldn't go.

May 28, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Motty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Also went to see We are Scientists in Manchester a couple of weeks ago who were superb.

cool, they are coming to NYC soon and a band I like, Oxford Collapse, is opening. I will make sure not to miss it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back