Best Concerts of 2008
Jan 6, 2008 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

The Actual

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone have some good shows coming up?

Last year was really great for me. In the Spring I saw tons of good shows at the Grog Shop, a small venue in Cleveland, then during the summer saw shows at my favorite places around San Francisco and since the school year started again I have been checking out different places around New York. Best shows from last year were These Arms Are Snakes, Girl Talk (twice), Pretty Girls Make Graves (twice again) and The Pipettes.

I just bought tickets last night for Robyn's New York show at Highline Ballroom. She is finally coming to the US, I bet the show will be excellent. Highline is a very well put together venue I think.
I will also be seeing Clap Your Hands Say Yeah at the Bowery Ballroom. Been to two of their shows before, pretty good both times.

Jan 6, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 32
Hopefully going to see Explosions in the Sky.

w00t!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the Spring I saw tons of good shows at the Grog Shop, a small venue in Cleveland

I love all of Cleveland's smaller venues, but for some reason I haven't been to the Grog Shop yet (though I know some friends who have). Who'd you see there?

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love all of Cleveland's smaller venues, but for some reason I haven't been to the Grog Shop yet (though I know some friends who have). Who'd you see there?

A ton of bands. It is basically walking distance from Case Western where I went to school last year so I would head over anytime a decent band would play.

Girl Talk
The Clientele
Owen
Joan of Arc
Asobi Seksu
These Arms Are Snakes
Chin Up Chin Up
Rob Crowe (from Pinback)
Saosin
Cancer Bats

more than that, can't remember all of them. The cool thing about Cleveland is that a band which might play a large-ish place in San Francisco or New York ends up playing to a half empty crowd at the Grog Shop or Beachland Ballroom... sort of a bad thing too, but it can be fun to get really close to the stage and not be suffocating.

Jan 6, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 32
Joe Satriani's tour in may-june all over England. Unfortunately, I won't be there
frown.gif

PLEASE GIVE ME A MONTREAL SATCH TOUR!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 6, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

It is basically walking distance from Case Western where I went to school last year so I would head over anytime a decent band would play.

Hey, Case is my second choice college. How did you like it there?

(I tried to PM you that question but your box was full
tongue.gif
)

Jan 7, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Case is my second choice college. How did you like it there?

(I tried to PM you that question but your box was full
tongue.gif
)

oops, ten hours after my 'paid subscription' runs out someone tries to PM me.....

hold on I'll PM you later tonight.

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 32
Seattle Bumbershoot Music + Arts Festival on Labor Day weekend. Line-up will be announced starting late spring and tickets go on sale in August. Last year's festival was huge and had The Shins, Wu-Tang Clan, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Crowded House, Panic! At The Disco, John Legend, Fergie, etc. all headlining.

I expect Portishead to start touring towards the end of this year supporting their forthcoming new album due in April. I'm hoping that they could make it to Bumbershoot. Also, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss' US tour in the summer/fall.

Other than that, nothing on the radar for me yet. Been to a few last year, and the big ones for me are The Police and Stevie Wonder.

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUSHIE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to the Mars Volta show on new years. It was one of the best things I have ever witnessed.

This was the show in SF, right? Did you see Peanutbutter Wolf's set? I caught him on the Stonesthrow tour a couple months ago and he is super cool. He did a 'VJ' set ('video jockey' like a DJ, but using music videos instead of just songs) and had the visuals hooked up to a turn table so that when he was scratching the video would go back and forth with the sound.
He is a great performer, good repartee with the audience.

I would love to see Portishead live... really hoping that album comes out this year along with a supporting US tour.
What size venues do you think they will play?

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

I would love to see Portishead live... really hoping that album comes out this year along with a supporting US tour.
What size venues do you think they will play?

Medium-size venues would suit them well (such as the Roseland in NYC). Seattle's The Showbox at the Market is a likely venue for them here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back