best computer speakers
Mar 1, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 39
Thats such a broad question.. it really depends on your preference and what you like..
For example is it just for music? gaming? movies? producing?

My speakers are M-Audio BX5a's and BX10 sub.. they go great together nice clear mids and highs.. bass gets a bit choppy with very low frequencies though..

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #3 of 39
Mar 1, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 39
If you want a speaker designed for use at home on the desktop, rather than a near field with XLR inputs and separate level controls, my suggestion would be the Swan M200, in either MkII or MkIII guise. Besides, my MkIIIs sound better than every near field I've tried.

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 39
active or passive? there's probably a lot of more specifics you might want to lay down to get better suggestions..

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by bik2101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
active or passive? there's probably a lot of more specifics you might want to lay down to get better suggestions..

I would just assume active given that they are "computer speakers", as passive would require an amp of some sort attached. That said, I've been using a small system on my computer in my office that I really enjoy. The speakers are Ohm Micro Walsh Shorts, which disappear like Caspar. Only weakness is their size (8X8X22) and the low end, which is typical of any computer/desk speaker. Other than that, they're a whole lot of fun, but do require some pretty serious power.

For self-powered speakers at a reasonable cost (you did not mention budget), the Audioengine 5's are pretty damn good at that price. There's also many active studio monitors (like your current BX5's) that range in price and performance...Dynaudio makes a really good one, as does Mackie and several other companies. As you step up the line in price you will likely be gaining in resolution and perhaps a bit in the extreme performance. The better ones I've heard are between $1k-2k (ouch), but that's a steep price for what may seem to some like not a whole lot of gain from the lower priced models. You should probably listen to some before dropping that kind of coin.

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 39
I'm in search for the absolute computer speakers absolutely, i've found theses :

m50w_t_noshade.jpg

Swan M50W :

78W Rms and 38Hz-120Hz for the SubWoofer
with a 6.5" subwoofer driver

18W Rms and 120Hz-20kHz for each satellites
with 3" Mid-bass drivers and 20mm aluminum dome tweeter

But the problem is : i can't find this pretty thing anywhere...
frown.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 39
The Audio Insider carries some Swan stuff, but not those. In any case I would go for the M200s over those. 120Hz isn't low enough for satellites. You're still sending too much directional information to a subwoofer.

My M200s are still kicking down to about 50Hz, which is all I really need for desktop listening.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #10 of 39
what kind of speakers? 2.0? 2.1? 5.1?

I used to have a 5.1 set up on my computer but I already have a HT set up, so, to save space, I switched to tiny 2 speakers. Audioengine a2 or m-audio av40 are very decent options if you want only 2 speakers as I do.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Audio Insider carries some Swan stuff, but not those. In any case I would go for the M200s over those. 120Hz isn't low enough for satellites. You're still sending too much directional information to a subwoofer.

My M200s are still kicking down to about 50Hz, which is all I really need for desktop listening.

You're right, i'm now trying to buy a M200MKIII, it's not easy to find a 220V version of theses babies here in France.

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #12 of 39
These get some great reviews, I do want a pair. Just the DAC in them has been compared to a $4000 stand alone unit.
AVI Hi-Fi - ADM9.1 active loudspeakers

24/192 DAC, remote controlled three input Preamplifier, two optical digital and one analogue RCA - an electronic crossover and two power amplifiers (75 WPC for the tweeter and 250WPC for the bass drivers). This makes them unique in being a complete Hi Fi system in a pair of stand, wall or shelf mounted speakers.

I've not auditioned them though, would be interested if antone else has.

DSC_0607.jpg

Mar 6, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Jump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These get some great reviews, I do want a pair. Just the DAC in them has been compared to a $4000 stand alone unit.
AVI Hi-Fi - ADM9.1 active loudspeakers

24/192 DAC, remote controlled three input Preamplifier, two optical digital and one analogue RCA - an electronic crossover and two power amplifiers (75 WPC for the tweeter and 250WPC for the bass drivers). This makes them unique in being a complete Hi Fi system in a pair of stand, wall or shelf mounted speakers.

I've not auditioned them though, would be interested if antone else has.

Interesting system...I'd be curious to hear impressions as well. If you are going that far (US$1800) I'd also consider a used pair of ATC active monitors, or the Dynaudio BM6a's as well.

I had a pair of Swan M200's (the older version). They were very good for the price, though certainly not a statement monitor speaker. I took them on some road trips to use in the hotel room at night and they were great for that purpose. They are definitely on the large side of computer monitors. One thing I do like about the Swans and the AudioEngines is that the volume controls are on the front instead of the back where most pro-monitor speakers have them.

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyLou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can people post where you can buy them?

Which ones? You have suggestions for a wide variety. You might want to state a budget and any other constraints you might have.

Google is a good resource for finding who sells what. Just plug in the name of the product. From what I have suggested, Here's the Swans (there is also a MkII for less). Here's the Dynaudio, Audioengine is here, and for ATC active monitors you'll probably want to go to Audiogon and look for a used pair s they are pretty expensive (unless you are looking in that upper range). The AVI's someone else mentioned seem to be available direct. Sweetwater will also offer most of the pro-audio active monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back