Best computer speakers with $300 budget????!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #16 of 28
Whats so good about the A2? Any specific reason, except for the price

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #17 of 28
Or you can get passive speakers (you know, the kind that requires a full sized external amp) instead. Haven't heard any of the active speakers like Swan or Audioengine, but I'm highly skeptical of them.

And yes, Logitech doesn't do sound quality.

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #18 of 28
Active speakers have a lot of technical advantages but beware audioengine are not active its just a powered passive speakers with amp inside the speakers.
confused_face.gif

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #20 of 28
i think he was
wink_face.gif

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #21 of 28
Well,
the A2's are a good standard for more discerning ears: ones that are not fond of the coloured, inaccurate offerings from logitech/altec Lansing/ Bose etc.
They do not have the flatest response... But defnitely flatter than the mainstream products and very good for it's price.
With all this said, there are lots of similar or better alternatives:
Swan Hivi Mkiii
M-audio ba---
Krk Rokit
etc

L

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #22 of 28
how about klipsch promedia 2.1...not top of the tine, but not spendy at all either.

really awesome for $150

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-2-1-overview/

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #23 of 28
Actually, I don't think he's being sarcastic. http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13664&start=15

Apparently active can be better, but I'd still shy away from them unless it's something directed at the pro/musician market rather than computers and mp3 players.

As for that Klipsch 2.1, it's pretty tiny ........ seriously save your money, buy a good (and preferably large) 2.0 setup, add more later

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #25 of 28

Quote:
Are you being sarcastic?

Hmm... no, audioengine use passive crossover unlike studio monitors that use active crossover thus one amp for each drivers which are technically better.

The andioengine are like passive hifi speakers but with a build-in amp.

The two are easily muddled.

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #27 of 28
I've always understood the term active speaker to mean powered speaker, not referring to the an active crossover within the speaker. Yes, a speaker that has an active crossover built in will also have an amplifier built in, but I don't believe that not having an active crossover will make a speaker any less an "active speaker"

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #28 of 28

Quote:
I've always understood the term active speaker to mean powered speaker, not referring to the an active crossover within the speaker. Yes, a speaker that has an active crossover built in will also have an amplifier built in, but I don't believe that not having an active crossover will make a speaker any less an "active speaker"

Could not agree more ,Active = powered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back