Best Computer Speakers? Which of the following are better?
Nov 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mike88931

New Head-Fier
Nov 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 7
"Computer" speakers, like "car" speakers, is just a label that is applied to cheapie consumer speakers that allows them to be sold for more.

The best advice for anyone looking for good computer speakers is to start by looking for good speakers, period, (in your price range) and working backwards from there.

The models you've listed there represent a wide divergence of price ranges, so perhaps you should start by defining a budget.

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 7
Check your local Craigslist, someone might be selling good sound speakers with a receiver for a low price.

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm assuming you are talking about powered speakers. 

I have Klipsch Promedia 5.1's and I've tried AudioEngine 5+ and Airmotiv 5's.  Of these 3, I leaned towards the AirMotiv as being best overall SQ.  Klipsch bass is good, although amp has blown once and needed repair.  AudioEngine's didn't really impress me enough to toss the Klipsch.  Airmotiv 5 were "better" than Klipsch and, to my ears, noticeably better than AudioEngine.  I had to turn down the bass a couple notches.  The Airmotiv 5 was perhaps a bit too powerful for my near field listening.  If I were to buy Airmotiv, I'd probably get the 4's (and likely during their annual sale ... in the Spring?).

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #7 of 7
If price weren't an issue, I'd' probably opt for the emotivas. But you can pick up the audioengine A5+ open box from Vanns which is undergoing liquidation I believe but with a full manufacturer's warranty for $234 and no shipping.  I wanted to buy the airmotivs but opted for the audio engines; it was an easy choice at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back