Best Computer Speakers for $250 -$300. Possibly 2.1
Mar 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #17 of 31

Quote:
You could spend an extra 50 on top of your limit and get the Logitech z5500s, I have them and they are amazing

They are amazing but their sound quality is so so at best. You get almost no details out of any of your music, and furthermore the sub is not compatible with a third party reciever. Sure, you can attach the speakers themselves to a 35W amplified reciever but then you'll need a third party sub. The sub that comes with the z5500 is a longthrow subwoofer, so if you are sitting right in front of it, there will be just about no bass, you need to have it about 9-15 feet away from where your face will be, and make sure that your room is properly insulated otherwise there will be so many "blind spots" that it'll make you sick.

I'd choose the audioengine A5 over the z5500's any day, especially considering that with a third party sub and reciever w/ preamp outputs, I can easily expand it into a 2.1 or 5.1 system.

Also, a word of advice, dont buy z5500's just yet because logitech just released press info for the updated version of the z5500's, which have a lot of minor improvements made over the original. The sub and sattelites are the same but their abysmal control unit has a lot of junk fixed and can also decode the latest blu ray formats instead of maxing out at 24/96 DTS.

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #19 of 31
I use regular speakers powered by oldy HT receiver. To be honest its big, but if you have the room for it...good stereo speakers sounds the best compared to 90% of the PC speakers. And tbh if you listen to music...the subwoofers you get at these price range are really truly crappy soundwise.  Great for games and movies....but musicality of a fart. Btw the speakers dont even need to be shielded when using LCDs etc.

The best i ever had was the Kef Ipod speakers. Connected it to my pc...Awesome sound but need a good subwoofer to be enjoyable for movies and games.

Btw interesting reads about the active speakers. How do they compare with good bookshelf speakers? Would they be able to like a 100$ normal speaker?

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
Are you trolling?

He must be. They are great for throwing parties and such but the actual sound quality is no better than a set of JVC Gummies. They arent high quality, just really really loud. Perfect for video games and good for movies but if you want any sort of fidelity, you're better off looking elsewhere.

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #21 of 31

Thanks for the replies again. So A5 is not overkill for my room size? Also, I have been reading that there should be a good amount of space between both speakers. Why is that? Placing them next to my monitor going to affect the sound quality in any way? Also do I need to invest in some speaker stands? As for my previous question, what stores in U.S would have these speakers so that I may hear them?

Thank you

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #23 of 31

Quote:

Thanks for the replies again. So A5 is not overkill for my room size? Also, I have been reading that there should be a good amount of space between both speakers. Why is that? Placing them next to my monitor going to affect the sound quality in any way? Also do I need to invest in some speaker stands? As for my previous question, what stores in U.S would have these speakers so that I may hear them?

Thank you

I dont understand why people keep saying they are overkill. just dont turn the dang things up to 11....I keep mine at 25% and have windows control the volume at a pleasant 12%. Alternatively, i can turn windows volume to 50% and have the speakers control the volume, but I find that its easier to adjust the volume on my laptop than it is to bend down and fiddle the knob.

You need lots of space between the speakers because why would you have stereo speakers if you are going to put them so close together that it sounds like mono? Placing them next to your monitor will not affect the sound quality, but be careful with your volume because you are likely to blast your ears off if you accidentally turn something up too loud. these things dont play around.

You dont need to invest in speaker stansd, but considering the ideal environment for them is spaced apart, you would want them on the floor and on those little 15 degree 15 dollar inclines that audioengine sells. Personally, i have mine about 6 feet apart at my feet next to my desk on the floor without any sort of stand and the only problem ive run into is that my desk creates a huge resonant frequency range in the midrange, which I can solve by angling my speakers outwards or down into the carpet.

I dunno about where to buy them in stores, but they are small and so ridiculously well packaged that I doubt a store would let you take them out of the box and have a listen. Also I dont know what stores are in your location. I bought mine off of amazon with the mindset that if I didnt like how they sounded after 1 day I'd just return it to amazon. I threw out the box within the hour.

Bradjr1029 said:
umad?[\quote]

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #24 of 31

Quote:
umad?

Quote:

Thank you

I dont understand why people keep saying they are overkill. just dont turn the dang things up to 11....I keep mine at 25% and have windows control the volume at a pleasant 12%. Alternatively, i can turn windows volume to 50% and have the speakers control the volume, but I find that its easier to adjust the volume on my laptop than it is to bend down and fiddle the knob.

You need lots of space between the speakers because why would you have stereo speakers if you are going to put them so close together that it sounds like mono? Placing them next to your monitor will not affect the sound quality, but be careful with your volume because you are likely to blast your ears off if you accidentally turn something up too loud. these things dont play around.

You dont need to invest in speaker stansd, but considering the ideal environment for them is spaced apart, you would want them on the floor and on those little 15 degree 15 dollar inclines that audioengine sells. Personally, i have mine about 6 feet apart at my feet next to my desk on the floor without any sort of stand and the only problem ive run into is that my desk creates a huge resonant frequency range in the midrange, which I can solve by angling my speakers outwards or down into the carpet.

I dunno about where to buy them in stores, but they are small and so ridiculously well packaged that I doubt a store would let you take them out of the box and have a listen. Also I dont know what stores are in your location. I bought mine off of amazon with the mindset that if I didnt like how they sounded after 1 day I'd just return it to amazon. I threw out the box within the hour.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #25 of 31
If you're worried about size, you could easily go down to the audioengine 2s. I'm amazed at how much clarity and power they get out of such a small speaker. I don't think you'll find them at the chain stores, though. Here in NYC, the only place I've seen them is the computer store Tekserve. Mail order is excellent nowadays, though. I think if you purchase through the audioengine site you can try them out for 30 days.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #26 of 31

Quote:

You have them on the floor? You know you would get much better sound out of them if they were on your desk, with the tweeter about the same height as your ear. 

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
You have them on the floor? You know you would get much better sound out of them if they were on your desk, with the tweeter about the same height as your ear. 

my desk is only 6 feetx2.5 feet....there isnt any room for them on my desk. I'm still brainstorming ideas on how to get them to face level without attempting to remodel my parents' house/furniture

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #28 of 31

Quote:
my desk is only 6 feetx2.5 feet....there isnt any room for them on my desk. I'm still brainstorming ideas on how to get them to face level without attempting to remodel my parents' house/furniture

What do you have on your desk? My desk is like 6 feet too, and there is plenty of room on mine.

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #29 of 31
That desk is massive.

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #30 of 31
hang on. let me actully measure it. Now that I think about it I'm 5'5 and this desk is NOT 6 feet. Yes, my mistake. its 3.25 feet by 1.8 feet, going by rough single-ruler calculation. I have 2 laptops to keep on it and books and whatnot aside from that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back