Best Computer Soundcard?
Jan 13, 2003 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rexss345

New Head-Fier
What is the most musical (read: best source possible) sound card available today? Price range is an issue, under $200 would be nice, although it would also be good to know what is the flat out best, i.e. money no object. Thanks in advance

Jan 13, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 10
I just got the M-Audio Deltal DiO 2496 for my home computer and pre-ordered the upcoming M-Audio Revolution for my office computer. Awesome sound and big improvement over my old Audigy. I, however, use the SPDIF outputs only to an external DAC. Check out the AVS Forum wrt the Revo. Lots of discussion on how the analog output is claimed to be exceptional.

Jan 13, 2003 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 10
<$200 I'd say

M-Audio Revolution 7.1 for movies
M-audio Audiophile 24/96 for digital
Echo Mia for analogue

>$200

LynxTWO

Jan 14, 2003 at 12:33 PM Post #5 of 10
Go to the Audigon site for a used DAC. There are so many that you should do a search in the discussion forums. Your budget, of course, will help to narrow the choices. If you're looking for something relatively cheap and good, go for the Art DIO, preferrably one of the modified ones. After that, the sky's the limit.

Jan 14, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Mcrmouse30
What dac do you guys suggest for the M-Audio 7.1? I think I am going to order it.

The DAC in this card is pretty good. Try it out first to see if you like it. An ART DI/O may not be better stock.

Jan 14, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

The DAC in this card is pretty good. Try it out first to see if you like it. An ART DI/O may not be better stock.

Do you really think it's THAT good?!?
confused.gif

Jan 14, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by stallion11msu
Do you really think it's THAT good?!?
confused.gif

Well in terms of the DAC chip, the one in the Revo is newer and it's speced better. M-Audio does make good implementations of DACs and their measured performance is great. As for comparisions, I have an ART DI/O and M-Audio Audiophile 24/96. They both use the same DAC and as far as I can tell, there's no clear winner. I heard that the Revo measures slightly better than Audiophile 24/96. It's tough to make a comparision though because it's hard to keep all variables the same. Afterall, you'd use different interconnects for each setup.

Jan 14, 2003 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 10
I found a very heavy amount of distortion / hiss until I upgraded to a USB sound card. Is it possible this is simply my system or was it my SB Audigy? Do the Echo or Maudio cards have better shielding?

Trevor

Jan 14, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 10
I had to use all the "tweaks" out there to get my Audigy sounding decent. Now my audigy sound fairly good, and totally silent (no hiss, hum, noise, etc at full volume). I will however be purchasing an M-Audio Revolution (when it becomes available), the DACs and overall quality of the board is supposed to be superior to every card in M-Audio's delta line (also the audiophile 2496). I'll definitely be trying the analog outs on this card before I purchase a DAC =)

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back