Best COMPACT DAC/amp combo for under $1000 for HD650 and HD800
Mar 14, 2014 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

FraGGleR

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been here a while and have a good pulse on what is available, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything new or obscure.  I have the HD650 and HD800 which represent two different sound signatures, so I need the DAC/amp combo to play well with both.  I am looking for as compact a footprint as possible that gives me enough power for orthos (the efficient ish ones, not trying to run an HE-6 or anything), rear outputs for powered speakers, and preferably balanced output (though I am more flexible on this one).  

I really like the size and functionality of my Nuforce HDP, but was looking to get more power and resolution.  I had a CEntrance HifiM8, which was almost perfect, except it didn't have any real line outs (I didn't like using a cable from the headphone jack to the speakers).  

I have backed the Pulse X from LHLabs, but it is looking like they will have to increase the size of the case.  I also ordered the LPS, so it looks like the setup, no matter how good it is, will take up more room that I want.  The Audio-gd NFB-28 has all the features I want, but is about twice as big as I'd consider.  Schiit stacks are out too.

Any other suggestions?  Combo units that do well at all things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back