Best comfort headphone
Aug 13, 2012 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

livngston

New Head-Fier
Hey all.  I was all set to purchase the V-Moda M80s.  I tried them out though at my local store and felt that they had too much clamping force.  I like the sound and feel of the cups, but did not like the clamping feel.

My top priority is comfort.  I liked the feel of the Bose AE2 or IE2, but I know how they are hated on this forum.  I am open to on-ear or over-ear (but not over-ear that creates that vacuum like feel like the Audio Technica ATH-M50 or that make your ears sweat).  I don't care about noise isolation.

Is there any headphones of comparable comfort to the Bose, but of better sound quality in the $200 or less price range?

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 27
I have ATH-M50, love the sound. But when it's hot or I want to wear a HP that just feels like nothing, I put on my Grado SR225i's. They are a little brighter, but that is fixed with a little eq or amp. If you wash the bowls in detergent and bend the headband perfectly, they are super comfy. SR-80i's aren't bad either, just just not as good (90% of the 225i's). You just have to be in an environment to be able to wear open HP's.

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:
Hey all.  I was all set to purchase the V-Moda M80s.  I tried them out though at my local store and felt that they had too much clamping force.  I like the sound and feel of the cups, but did not like the clamping feel.

My top priority is comfort.  I liked the feel of the Bose AE2 or IE2, but I know how they are hated on this forum.  I am open to on-ear or over-ear (but not over-ear that creates that vacuum like feel like the Audio Technica ATH-M50 or that make your ears sweat).  I don't care about noise isolation.

Is there any headphones of comparable comfort to the Bose, but of better sound quality in the $200 or less price range?

Do you mind if it is open or closed back design? 

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 27
If you can find one used you might be able to snag a D2000 for $200-ish. That line of headphones is absolutely the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Over the HD800, 009, 007, HE500/6 and of course the LCD 2

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 27
When I opened the thread, I thought of the AE2. There really aren't any more comfy closed headphones that I can think of. If you're willing to sacrifice a little bit of comfort, you have a few options. If you don't mind something ridiculously bassy, there's the Sony XB700, but it does make a little suction. There's also the A700X or A900 (The A900X is $40 over budget, but you can visit your local Best Buy to try it) And something else is the AKG K271.

EDIT: There' a D2000 on Amazon for $200. Get that.

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 27
For me, comfort :

Beyerdynamics DT770 / DT880 /DT990

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:
If you can find one used you might be able to snag a D2000 for $200-ish. That line of headphones is absolutely the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Over the HD800, 009, 007, HE500/6 and of course the LCD 2

+1. I don't think anything can top the leather couch that is the D2000s, they are just perfect in everyway comfort wise. 

I just got my Beyer DT990s today and they are similarly good, but still not quite as comfy as my beloved D2000's.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 27
I almost gave a nod to the DT series as well. They're very comfy but the Denons just disappear. I almost threw my D7000 through the roof when I got them because I expected them to be heavier, but once I put them on they just disappeared. 

Quote:
+1. I don't think anything can top the leather couch that is the D2000s, they are just perfect in everyway comfort wise. 

I just got my Beyer DT990s today and they are similarly good, but still not quite as comfy as my beloved D2000's.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 27
My vote has to go to the Beyers.   They feel like a teddy bear is hugging your head.

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 27
I have a piar of the Crossfade LP's and I have absolutely no issue with clamping. They have a similar sound to the M80's and actually run cheaper. They're super durable and look pretty stylish, too. Otherwise, you did mention the IE2's. I have them and really do love them. The comfort is really quite nice for in ears. If you liked the sound and comfort why didn't you pick them up? Just because the forums spoke badly of them? They are quite handy if you plan to do any sort of real moving around with them in (e.g. working out, jogging, at work, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back