best combo for around 550 dollars
Dec 3, 2011 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

EinZweiDrei

500+ Head-Fier
what are good headphone and amp combos around $550
i still cant decide what to buy on my next purchase.
im thinking about the akg k701 + matrix m stage.
does anyone here have better suggestions?

if possible please describe the sound quality of the suggested combo.
treble, mids, bass, soundstage, tone, separation, ect...

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
good point.. maybe i need to know the details on the combo on other suggestions.

More like:

1. What music do you enjoy most?
2. What sound signature suits you best (ie, bassy, neutral, bass shy, mid-centric, bright and energetic, dark and smooth, etc).
3. Style and comfort criteria? (Ie, what pads do you prefer, pleather/leather or cloth?)
4. Want an open-air headphone or a closed-headphone (ie, is isolation needed)?
5. Do you already have a collection of high quality audio, such as good CD's or lossless digital media?

Very best,

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
More like:

1. What music do you enjoy most?
2. What sound signature suits you best (ie, bassy, neutral, bass shy, mid-centric, bright and energetic, dark and smooth, etc).
3. Style and comfort criteria? (Ie, what pads do you prefer, pleather/leather or cloth?)
4. Want an open-air headphone or a closed-headphone (ie, is isolation needed)?
5. Do you already have a collection of high quality audio, such as good CD's or lossless digital media?

Very best,

for music i listen to a wide range of genres.
electronic,techno, synth, trance, classical, ballad,rock ballad, power ballad, pop ballad, pop, rock, female vocals ect..
just about everything except for hip pop, rap and RnB.

for sound.. i prefer something with good instrumental separation and good sound stage.
maybe something neutral, mid centric, or bright and energetic, i dont want it to be too dark but i do want the smoothness.
good bass quality(dont need booming bass, not basshead), i dont mind bass shy or modest bass as long as it shows quality.
something thats good with female vocals, pianos, guitars and acoustic instruments.

for comfort, im confident enough to be to able to wear most materials on my head for hours.

isolation is not needed so preferably open air for the sound stage. (not planning to use it in public)

i have mostly flac and a few 320kpbs mp3.

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 14
a choice between k701, hd600 and a dt880/600ohms.

what about amps?
triportsad.gif

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 14
Based on your replies, it sounds like you'd love the Q701 along with a Matrix M-Stage.
It should be easy to find a q701 for around $225. With the price so similar to the K702, it makes no sense to buy the K702 really.
I haven't heard the M-Stage but it's supposed to be a good match for the K702/Q701.

Of course I'd suggest the US built Headroom Micro Amp instead
biggrin.gif

Q701 and Micro Amp is probably the best combo I've heard yet, but I did get the HRT Music Streamer II for it.
M-Stage should sound just as good maybe, but I haven't compared them yet and maybe someday.

A used K601 is also a nice option. I'd actually take that (or the K501) over the K702, but not the Q701. Weird, I know.

HD-600 and an Asgard was also a good combo. That's exactly $550.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Based on your replies, it sounds like you'd love the Q701 along with a Matrix M-Stage.
It should be easy to find a q701 for around $225. With the price so similar to the K702, it makes no sense to buy the K702 really.
I haven't heard the M-Stage but it's supposed to be a good match for the K702/Q701.

Of course I'd suggest the US built Headroom Micro Amp instead
biggrin.gif

Q701 and Micro Amp is probably the best combo I've heard yet, but I did get the HRT Music Streamer II for it.
M-Stage should sound just as good maybe, but I haven't compared them yet and maybe someday.

A used K601 is also a nice option. I'd actually take that (or the K501) over the K702, but not the Q701. Weird, I know.

HD-600 and an Asgard was also a good combo. That's exactly $550.

im planning to plug an amp directly into a xonar dx sound card on my pc. is that good enough?

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 14
In all honesty, yes. if you're going to spend more money on an amp & dac which betters the sound card, it'd be better to invest in headphones which cost around the same price as those combined, and then gradually build up a complete set up around it. 

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #13 of 14
since i never heard the hd600, k701 or dt880/600

i think ill might go with the k701 + matrix m stage combo.
since i heard they were suppose to be a great combo
the female vocals on the k701 suit my taste more than on the hd600 according to some post.
not so sure about the dt880, apparently they are semi open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back