Best combined value for under $300 - headphones only or headphones plus amp/dac
Dec 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jhembach

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've spent countless hours reading this communities amazing reviews and discussions, but I feel stuck in my quest for a great pair of headphones and am hoping for some help.

For background: my only current headphones are a pair of q-jays IEMs (which I LOVE), and years ago I also had a pair of Sony MDR-V700DJs, which I sold because - well - I'm not a DJ, and they were terribly uncomfortable for extended listening (not their intended purpose, I know). I listen to a range of music - rock, pop, hip hop, even a little country. I'm starting to get into jazz more as well, but don't have a particular interest in classical.

I've been reading a lot about my headphone options, and a little on amps and DACs as well, and here's where I currently stand. The shortlist right now consists of:

B&W P5. I know this is probably the least impressive from a sonic perspective, but I lust after these on an irrational level and can't quite purge them from the list.
Sennheiser HD598. These seem very well-reviewed, and I very much like the unusual burlwood finish as well as the fact that they seem to be extremely comfortable.
Phiaton MS 400.
Grado SR80, SR125, SR225. A friend of mine has the 125s and I've always loved the sound of them.
AKG Q701

Obviously, the Phiaton and B&W have the advantage of being more portable, whereas the Sennheiser and Grados would be purely for home use.

I'm also wondering if in this price range, I'm better off getting the Grados or Sennheiser and adding a cheap DAC like the Fiio D3 and an amp like the E6, or getting a combo unit like an E7, or should I invest in something like an AKQ Q 701 and add a DAC/amp later down the road? I'm looking to invest no more in $300 in this Christmas gift to myself.

Sorry for the very broad array of questions, but I'm having a hard time finding a good place to start on this head-fi adventure...

I'm planning on testing them all out in-store this weekend, but would love to go armed with as much info as possible.

Thanks all!

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 14
What is your source right now?

I'd also say you need to narrow down exactly what you want and what your needs are.  Are you going to be using these anywhere other than home?  Do you need isolation, or is sound coming in and leaking out okay?  How long do you plan on wearing them and hence exactly how important is comfort?

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 14
Since I have the q-jays and am very happy with them, I am fine if the new pair is home-only, and am ok with either an open or closed type in principle. I know this isn't a terribly helpful answer in narrowing things down - my primary objective is to have a great pair for home listening, but being able to also listen while out would be a bonus. Also, my apartment isn't dead quiet since I don't live alone - it's not *loud*, but if there's a TV running in the next room, I'll probably still hear it a little with the open type - since I don't have that much experience with headphones, I'm not sure how much that would impact my listening pleasure.

My sources right now vary. I play music from the laptop (iTunes, both CD rips of varied quality and iTunes-purchases, but for the home setup will probably mostly play CDs through a Sony CD walkman, which does have a digital optical out. In the alternative, I would consider picking up a DAC to get cleaner sound out of the laptop and/or discman, as long as the DAC-(amp)-headphone combo doesn't exceed $300 for now.

For comfort: I'll probably be wearing them for about an hour or two at a time, rarely longer than that.

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the input so far!

@imackler: The HD598 paired with an E9 does exceed my self-imposed budget for now. Would you suggest getting a more affordable headphone like the 555 and sticking with the E9 as the amp, or going with the 598 and adding an amp later?

I did read that the analog out on the Sony D-EJ825 isn't very well-reviewed, so that leads me to believe that I would benefit from using something like the Fiio D3 paired with an E9 or maybe just an E11 for starters?

I'm actually confused about the E7. My understanding is that it's a USB DAC with an integrated amp. If that's the case, am I not stacking two amps by adding an E9? Does that make sense? Wouldn't I just want to get a D3 or D3/D5 combo and plug that straight into the E9? (sorry for the noob question...)

Asked another way - if I'm going to buy an E7, what value am I getting by adding the E9?

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 14
When connected to the E9, the E7 solely functions as a dedicated DAC. With that being said, the amp'ing is done through the E9. And the purpose of having the E9 is to amplify the sound to levels not attainable by the E7 alone. Essentially, the linear process would be from your source, into the E7 (DAC), amplified by the E9 (amp), and out through your headphones.

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 14
If you're looking for a DAC/amp for home use only, the E10 might be a better choice.  It's got a better amp and DAC than the E7, and if you decide you want more juice down the line, you can always hook it up to an E9 or any other amp.  However, it has more than enough juice on its own to run the HD598, or anything else on your list except maybe the Q701.

It's not portable at all though - no batteries, and no line in option.  It can only be run through a USB port.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #9 of 14
You can get the HD598 shipped from Sound Earphones for $170 w/ some price matching/haggling. If not that price, then probably close. Electronics Expo has been having it shipped w/ coupon code for $170 too. You can then pick up a E9 and a line out from Micca. I think you can come in right at $300.

Quote:
Thanks for the input so far!

@imackler: The HD598 paired with an E9 does exceed my self-imposed budget for now. Would you suggest getting a more affordable headphone like the 555 and sticking with the E9 as the amp, or going with the 598 and adding an amp later?

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
You can get the HD598 shipped from Sound Earphones for $170 w/ some price matching/haggling. If not that price, then probably close. Electronics Expo has been having it shipped w/ coupon code for $170 too. You can then pick up a E9 and a line out from Micca. I think you can come in right at $300.

Using an E9 with onboard sound isn't the best choice, though it might work ok with the Walkman.  With a sub-par source, the E9 will pick up a lot of background noise.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #11 of 14
Yeah, I agree about the onboard sound but they walkman may be great. I'm very happy w/ the E9 from a line out from an ipod classic. I imagine it would be good from a walkman (?). But definitely not the right choice from a bad souncard. Maybe its worth a try w/ the walkman...

Quote:

Using an E9 with onboard sound isn't the best choice, though it might work ok with the Walkman.  With a sub-par source, the E9 will pick up a lot of background noise.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #12 of 14

For the DAC/Amp, this is the best source I've heard including all portable stuff, it will run you around $150 including shipping if you want a USB connection, it offers excellent sonic value since it's a (finished) DIY project - http://www.head-fi.org/t/571081/the-diary-entries-of-a-little-girl-latest-memoir-asahi-texas-finished-diy-dac/975#post_7937992

Then you have $150 left over for headphones, that depends on your music taste, but even the q-Jays will catch on fire with the above DAC imho.

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 14
HD558s are $117 @ electronic expo right now (coupon code RETAILMENOTSAVE).  Add an E10 for $81 shipped on amazon and that's nearly $100 under your budget. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back