Best Closed Supraaural on a Budget?
Sep 1, 2009 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

JonM

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm in need of a new portable headphone. I'm decently versed in circumaural cans, but completely lost when it comes to portability. I basically just need something for school, but don't want anything in ear.

My question: What is the consensus best Closed Supraaural headphone for around 50 bucks (price flexible)?

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 20
Haha sorry man, I did skim through about two or three pages of posts, note the term "skim". :p

Your thread's review of the 'Yuin G2A' intrigues me. I like the design, the price, and the fact that they are closed. Others that intrigue me are the px200 and the AKG K81 DJ.

I'll do some searches on those three. If anyone has any opinions they'd like to share here on those (aswell as other suggestions) feel free.

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha sorry man, I did skim through about two or three pages of posts, note the term "skim". :p

Your thread's review of the 'Yuin G2A' intrigues me. I like the design, the price, and the fact that they are closed. Others that intrigue me are the px200 and the AKG K81 DJ.

I'll do some searches on those three. If anyone has any opinions they'd like to share here on those (aswell as other suggestions) feel free.

I've heard the PX200s and they lose out quite badly in everything but isolation to the PX100s (which are in my review). The G2A are much, much, much better. As for the K81dj, my pair should be arriving later this week, so I can't comment yet
wink.gif
. They did intrigue me enough to actually pick up a set, if that matters.

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 20
joker, there are a few Head-Fiers who really like the K81DJ, and many who dont, so it will be interesting to read your impressions. I looked at them briefly before I bought my Ultrasones - hope you enjoy your new toy as much as I am enjoying the HFI-550.

HeadRoom are definitely fans:

AKG K 81 DJ @ HeadRoom

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 20
ljokerl, sound leakage is big for me. I don't want it at all. From what Ive read the G2A's leak sound, but in your review you say they dont let sound out. Can you elaborate on this? How would they compare to the px200 in that aspect?

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ljokerl, sound leakage is big for me. I don't want it at all. From what Ive read the G2A's leak sound, but in your review you say they dont let sound out. Can you elaborate on this? How would they compare to the px200 in that aspect?

The G2A's leak very little comparatively. Keep in mind that many of the headphones I tested were open and that my scale is mostly normalized to the best of the bunch. If I were to add the PX200s to my scale they would be closest to the ATH-ON3 in leakage and isolation. I have a feeling the K81dj and/or HD228 work better in that respect, but won't know for some time. My HD25-1 II leak far less, but they are quite a bit above budget. Will also test ATH-ES7 next week or so.

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 20
regardless of that review, if SQ is what you're looking for, I'd never choose anything overt the iGrado's!! I put off buying the iGrado's for ages... what a fool i was. far more detailed, far deeper and quicker than the Porta's or the PX's.

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
regardless of that review, if SQ is what you're looking for, I'd never choose anything overt the iGrado's!! I put off buying the iGrado's for ages... what a fool i was. far more detailed, far deeper and quicker than the Porta's or the PX's.

..."closed supraaural on a budget"...?

Regardless of your sentiments for the iGrado SQ (which I happen to share, since I ranked them 2nd in personal preference), they are the farthest you can possibly get from closed short of turning the drivers to face outward
dt880smile.png

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #11 of 20
How about some refurbished ES7s. It meets most of your requirements... closed, supraaural, on a budget (~$50). I'm not sure if I can say that they're the best, but I use them at school and they've been good to me. They don't leak out much sound at all unless you're really cranking the volume. They're also not crazy huge like circumaurals, so they're fairly portable and look sexy. lol

I also use the G2A's for school. I see that they've been mentioned already even though they're not technically closed. Personally, I prefer the G2A's over the ES7's, but for those times that I want the little isolation that the ES7 offers, I grab them instead. The G2A's do leak sound, but not a whole lot. If you're going to use them in the library, then they probably wouldn't work out so well.

I contemplated purchasing the iGrado's, but ultimately I decided against it due to the behind the head design. I've never tried the Sennheisers so I can't comment on those.

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #12 of 20
Testing the K81dj today and they leak very, very little. Easily the least of all the portable phones I've tested. Sound good, too, but may be uncomfortable for long periods of time.

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #14 of 20
^And just a little bit more dough, and HD25-1 II is a pretty good idea.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 20
/\ Damn you head-fi! lol

I think I might hold out and get the ES7 when I can justify spending more dough (would rather buy new). They seem about perfect for what I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back