Best closed Sennheisers in $200 price range?
Jan 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

audiophilejon

New Head-Fier
I recently got some Sennheiser hd428's and decided I liked the Sennheiser sound better than the sound of my Grado SR-325is.  I am considering selling the Grados and using the money to purchase a higher end Sennheiser in the same price range. What would you recommend as the best closed Sennheisers in that price range? Although I do have the Grados, I find the open air design annoying and limiting because I can only listen to them when I am alone in my room, so that is why I would want a closed pair.

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 5
Senn's become open in the 500 Series.  They do Have a few other sets tho.  The lower 200's series, A few in the 300 I think?
The highest model ( Newest line up) is the 449, I believe.  If it was me, Since you like the Senn sound and have $200, Hd 558,
They are open but man they sound Fantastic!!

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I recently got some Sennheiser hd428's and decided I liked the Sennheiser sound better than the sound of my Grado SR-325is.  I am considering selling the Grados and using the money to purchase a higher end Sennheiser in the same price range. What would you recommend as the best closed Sennheisers in that price range? Although I do have the Grados, I find the open air design annoying and limiting because I can only listen to them when I am alone in my room, so that is why I would want a closed pair.

Heya,

Each Sennheiser sounds different. Hard to say that you'll like the higher model closed back series of Sennheiser. Depending on how much you can sell your 325's for, maybe try for a Momentum.

I would have you look into different closed headphones though:

Beyer DT770 PRO
Beyer Custom One Pro
Ultrasone HFI 780
Ultrasone PRO 750
AKG K167
AKG K550
Mr Speaker Mad Dog
Brainwavz HM5
AudioTechnica A900X
Shure SRH840
KRK KNS 8400