Best closed portable phones?
Nov 6, 2003 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

MrSiki99

100+ Head-Fier
What are some of the best portable closed headphones under $150?

Nov 6, 2003 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 21
Under $150? Not that many that I know of. There are several however, that are around $150. Heres a short list of the ones I've found. (Pasted from an earlier post of mine in a different thread.)

AKG K271 Studio - $179.00 (HeadRoom)
Beyerdynamic DT831 - $160.00 (Meier Audio)
Audio Technica ATH-A900 - $185.00 (AudioCubes2)
Ultrasone HFI-650 Trackmaster - $165.00 (Meier Audio)

Nov 6, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 21
How are the Ultrasone's? I've always been curious about their headphones.....

Nov 6, 2003 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 21
beyer DT250, on the small side good for portable use.

The AKG 271 mentioned before regardless of the (good) sound aren't really portable, as they are rather huge!
(this being a matter of opinion...)

Nov 6, 2003 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 21
Ack! Whoops! I somehow missed "portable" and read "closed" instead.
tongue.gif
In that case, the K271S is probably too big for your tastes (though I do lug mine around from time to time.) Out of the cans I listed, the Ultrasones are probably the most portable.

As for portables, I havent done much research but a couple I can throw out would be the beyerdynamic DT250-80 Filipe mentioned, and sennheiser HD497's. I cant think of anymore.
frown.gif
You may have more luck doing a search on the forum or browsing through HeadRoom's catalogue.

Personally though, I'd go with the Ultrasones.
wink.gif
Get the DVD edition from Meier if you're looking for a more musical/bassy presentation than the analytical Trackmaster edition.

Nov 6, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 21
The A900 is not very portable at all, it's HUGE for one thing and fits loosly for another. Now,if you mean throwing it in the trunk of the car to listen somewhere else, I guess they're sort of portable.

Nov 6, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 21
Are the ER-6s hard to insert? I've also heard they can be shrill and are a little light of bass, but i would like to hear good things about them. Currently, i'm deciding between the ER-6s and E2s.

Nov 6, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by was ist los?
Are the ER-6s hard to insert? I've also heard they can be shrill and are a little light of bass, but i would like to hear good things about them. Currently, i'm deciding between the ER-6s and E2s.

Yes, very easy to insert. The ER-4S is much more of a pain to insert. The treble can be harsh the bass light, yeah. The detail is quite wonderful though. I haven't heard the E2 so I don't know how it compares... I found my CHA-47 helped a lot. It tames the high end and emphasizes the bass a lot more. Worked wonders with my Grado SR60 as well.

Nov 6, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 21
Hrm... SR-60s don't really improve much with an amp to me. I was initially leaning towards the E2s because of the lower price and bass, but the ER-6's detail and improvement with amps is tempting.

Nov 6, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 21
I am supprised nobody has recommended the Sony MDR-V6 / 7506 ..... there isn't a whole lot in the way of high quality "portable" closed headphones. The V6's have a nice carrying bag and fold down nicely. They are easily driven by a portable without an amp. They DO fit into that price range. They aren't necessarily "portable" in the sense of pocket size, but if you have a backpack or something, they will do the job very nicely. I personally can't stand canal phones but if you CAN, Ety's are real favorites around here. If you do NOT like canal phones, you are left with pretty much the Sennheiser PX200's and V6's for portable closed cans. PX200's aren't as well loved as the V6's but they have the advantage of folding up smaller and being more portable.

Nov 6, 2003 at 5:42 AM Post #13 of 21
The ultrasone HFI 650 DVD edition is impressing the heck out of me, too soon to give a final judgement on them, but I CAN say I like them better than the Beyer 250-250's that were my previous favorite closed cans (which in turn I liked better than my old AKG K271's). The DVD's have the best bass of the bunch, by far, and the least sibilance.

Nov 6, 2003 at 8:13 AM Post #14 of 21
PX250
biggrin.gif

Enough said
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2003 at 8:26 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Tyson
The ultrasone HFI 650 DVD edition is impressing the heck out of me, too soon to give a final judgement on them, but I CAN say I like them better than the Beyer 250-250's that were my previous favorite closed cans (which in turn I liked better than my old AKG K271's). The DVD's have the best bass of the bunch, by far, and the least sibilance.

Good to hear, you're beginning to make me think about trading in the DT770 for some of these Ultrasones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back