best closed 'phones under 150$ for recording & mixing at home + bass recording in studio sessions??
Dec 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Narodi

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!
amazing and smart forum you have here!! 
size]

I've been digging here and around the web for several days now but i can't decide on what is the best choice for me.

I'm a bass player, arranger and composer  and I want to start making commercial music and/or good sounding sketches at home.
I'm searching for an all around headphones for both recording and mixing at home and to take to studio sessions when recording bass, and of course bass practicing and working on my bass sound. 

so what's the best flat, detailed, big sound-staged cans with good and deep bass (not hyped) ??
Inner Fidelity and Head Room graphs are often contradict each other so I try to use this amazing site with short demos of recorded headphones: 
http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/category/headphone-shootouts/
I know that the sound gets very changed through my crappy cheap speakers/headphones but I tried to distinguish the sound stamp and differences...

Up to now my options are these:

Audio-Technica ATH-M40FS - very cheap now, some guys said they're flat and mix worthy. 

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms - bulky and pricey. not sure about their sound neutral responce 

Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones - a lot of guys love them but demo sound to bassy and closed

Sony MDR7506 - highly talked every forum (though also some differ)

Brainwavz HM5 - not enough info, seen 1 good review on the web. seem very bulky..

KRK KNS8400 - highly talked on Hi-Fi but the Inner-Fidelity graph show a big mid range bump (also talked about a lot) and I'm not sure they won't be to bright for me

KRK KNS6400 - read a lot of reviews that they give a very good translation. I wonder how would be recording live bass with them (bass shy?)

budget is 150$ (I need to ship them outside USA) 
I was leaning towards the krk 8400 but after seeing the graph and comparing demos I'm very confused and not sure it's the right one for my needs..
I know I'll need to learn any set i'll buy but I want to start from a good base point 
beyersmile.png

I appreciate your help!

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #3 of 13
Have you looked at the ATH-M50? Great phones and Amazon had them for $10 the other day. I'm kind of a noob too, but since no one else responded I figured I would :thumbup:

Sent from my LG G2!

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 13
the M50's were my original choice, but after long investigating I've found out that they are less neutral and are colored and hyped in the mid low and low frequencies, so they are less compatible for mixing.

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 13
Most sound professionals seem to use the MDR 7506 or V6. I've seen people use the HD 280's and DT 770's as well. I would think the flatter the better so the 7506 would be the one but I don't know much about sound recording maybe someone else can give you benefits of choosing one over the other. 

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 13
Sennheiser 380 pro is underrated, it's better than the 280 pro according to a few people.

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #12 of 13
guys I promise this will be my last bump 

still haven't decided yet and dying to get this of my mind 
confused_face_2.gif

please respond to the pole I've added. Your click will be very helpful and appreciated!  
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back