Best Closed Over-the-Ear Headphones for Less Than $100
Jun 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

UnicornSlaya

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi, today I'm looking for a good headphone for under $100. My sister wants a headphone before she goes to another state, and she's asking for a recommendation for headphones. It should be Closed and isolate, and be less than $100. She wants Over-the-Ear, but she's alright with on ear. She listens to rock and a bit of electronic/jpop music. She's also not really an audiophile, but this is a good time to introduce her to it. What are your guy's thoughts? Thanks :D

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 10
I think the Sony MDR-V7506's could fit the bill. I've been using mine for about 6 months now and, while I only have a few other decent cans to compare them to, they're quite excellent for electronic music. Treble is the strong point on these IMO. The bass is still very present but not very...colorful (for a lack of a better word). I listen to a wide variety of stuff and the 7506 handles adequately across all genres (hard rock, IDM, hip-hop, classical, etc). These can be had for $100 shipped if I'm not mistaken and I would recommend them for someone looking for something to get off the ground of the normal mediocrity that is cheap earbuds/cans.

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 10
Hello!

I prefer HD 439 over MDR-7506 for electronics music. The bass on the MDR-7506 is too rolled off for it. Not saying the Sony is bad, it's a excellent pair of headphone for monitoring, rocks and maybe a bit of classical but never for electronics or any music that requires bass to be present [sub-bass].

HD439 on the other hand, handle electronics with no exception, pretty good with rocks, pop and a bit on classical.

Hope this helps!
Billson :D

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the advice! I'm probably gonna go with the Creative Aurvana Live. I've read somewhere that the Sony's can be a bit fatiguing, and I owned the M50's, but unfortunately those got stolen, and I kinda want to hear what's the fuss about the CALs... 

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 10
Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) headphones.
But not for people with really large heads.

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for all the advice. I was going to get the Creative Aurvana Live for $40, but that deal is now gone lol, and plus she liked the looks of the Panasonic RP-HTX7. I know they're aren't the best headphones for that price, but there wasn't a lot that I could do. Again, thanks for the help. Now it's time for me to look for some headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back