Best Closed Over ear Headphones?
Sep 9, 2013 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

evilgnomez

New Head-Fier
So my budget is going to be $300 MAX.

I do play games so a built in mic would be very apperciated but not really required (could just get a clip on mic), I am looking for audiophile level headphones (the vengeance 2000's I had decided to take a dump...again, wont bother RMA'ing it. waste of my time.)

I was/am looking at the mx300's but those are a bit spendy.

Needs/Wants
$300 budget
Do NOT have a preamp. (I need to get one)
Audiophile Sound quality(I listen to country and rock more than anything)
good build quality
Best audio possible for the set budget.
No overpowering bass, middle of the road

Would likes
Built in mic (not a deciding factor)
Closed (but if there are ones that have better sound stage then open is fine)

So any suggestions?

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 6
country & rock contradict each other, country doesnt demand the kind of bass that rock does, so it sounds like you need a neutral headphone basically an " all a rounder " so i suggest the sennheiser momentums which is about 40$ over your budget but its well worth it, another headphone that comes to mind is the AKG Q701 good clarity but not over powering bass & decent mids.! & finally for noise cancellation i recommend  the bose quiet comfort 15 it has active noise cancellation sound is not as good as it could be but thats the price you pay for advanced noise cancellation, it still sounds good, it'll run you about 269$  

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 6
The Beyerdynamic DT990  has High and detailed sound quality, Large soundstage, Good bass, Comfortable open headphones, These headphones are known as " open acoustic " headphones which means they have vents on the side of the headphones them selfs to provide that " wide sound stage " effect which can prove to be very useful in the rock & country genre,but because of those vents on the side the DT990 has virtually no noise cancellation, these headphone also suit your needs if your willing to sacrifice noise reduction for sound quality.   

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks. Yeah I can live with some background noise, not that big of a sacrifice. would the dt990's with a schitt magni amp do the trick for listening, I do also game alot, but thats more of a Mic issue which can be fixed easily.

for the amp/dac I do not have a amp/DAC, so any thoughts on a AMP/Dac Combo if possible?

Source would be the PC 99% of the time and maybe 2 hours of mobile listening. (on a galaxy smartphone)

I can add a E11 for portable listening.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 6
The kef m500 and psb m4u 1 are the best closed cans (plus they have a somewhat flat frequency response) under $300. Better than the popular contenders, like the momentum, 1r, and m100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back