Best Closed Over-Ear can for 500$
Aug 27, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #17 of 22
I would consider the 99C to compete fairly effectively with the 1540. And I also find the PM3 to be a bit lifeless in comparison to the extremely fun 99C. FWIW. Your mileage may vary, of course. You might also check out a TH-X00 if the 600 is discontinued. It is really a terrific can.

Forgot the 99C in my list :O, seems wonderful for its price tag! In one 99C head-fi review, the author said the TH-X00 has trouble with female vocals, something I place at the top priority of quality for my headphones. I will still try them if i can but female vocals are everything for me :)

The PM-3 lifelessness is worrying, even if I think I would like its balanced sound shape. Can't know if it would be over-ear or on-ear in my case. I have average sized ears.

What you need is a pair of Mr Speakers Alpha Primes.

Reviews are really positive! But this is a small company and there seems no way to get one pair, nor test them ;(

I would find a used pair of ZMF Blackwoods. Maybe Ebay. :)

Thank you for your suggestion :) Still a bit afraid about used phones market... Even more on blind buy!

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #18 of 22
I went to a shop in Akihabara called E-earphones yesterday. Was amazed by the number of headphones and IEMs available for tests (maybe ~500). It became my second home but could only stay there about one hour. If you stop in Tokyo, you should definitely try it out.
I did some speed test to review all the headphones that were talked about in the thread i managed to find in the shop.
N.B: I tested around 10 models so my memory isn't perfect, i could have oversighted some headphones but i also take this as if the can really impressed me, i would remember the impact it had on me.

My first song was Hello from Adele to evaluate female vocal proficiency, bass consistance and how the can handles the busyness at last part of the song.
Second song was Money by Zhu to evaluate vocal and treble clarity.
Third song was Chandelier by Sia to evaluate bass impact and texture, vocal and treble clarity and overall balance.
Next time i will try more various styles because it's still not enough to evaluate everything.

First tested : Oppo PM-3

Just fitted well over my ears by a bit, quite confortable but need to test it longer to see if it compress too much the border of my ears.
Impressed by the overall performance, really-balanced, good isolation, the vocals were full of clarity but not too forward. The treble was controlled and bass was present but maybe a bit lacking. Need to test again later. Didn't feel the lifelessness yet but need extended listening next time.

2nd : ATH-SR9 : Really V-Shaped, the mid are not that clair and the treble are really too harsh, got my head bleeding and didn't manage to finish the first test song.
Adele's voice pierced my ear... Can't buy it.

3rd TH-610 : Good bass, soundstage is okay but mid are too recessed in my opinion compared to PM-3, I couldn't get into the music, Adele was too far for me to enjoy it. Don't fit my tastes.

Shure SRH-1540 : Great mid, could really feel the vocals in front, clear and balanced, same goes for bass, well-presented, not too present, good imaging. Treble were just good enough, not harsh at all, i was really pleased by the listening. Contender with PM-3 even if i found PM-3 more comfortable. All 3 songs were enjoyable, although i don't remember the bass well. Need more listening.

ATH-A2000Z : Maybe i have a small/thin head but i couldn't manage to get the grip on my head. The lock system seemed strange to me and I couldn't change the fit. So I couldn't test it.

Meze 99 Classics : They have impressed me the most! I can understand reviewers feeling when listening to it. Just enough punch in the bass, good mid, good treble, overall sound is clear and balanced, plus the wood cups are wow. Bass was impressive compared to SRH-1540 or PM-3. I enjoyed it so much that i listened to it twice, the last time after all other headphones. One word: FUN.
They're almost half the price of SRH-1540 and PM-3 yet they achieve that sound quality, really impressive work from Meze. Also in contender list for its performance/price ratio.

Sony MDR-Z7 : Big cans, impressive isolation and comfort, the staging seemed quite good but can't remember too much of it. Soundstage was pretty good but the fact i can't remember tells that it didn't impress me enough. Need more listening. Might be in contender list.

BeyerDynamics DT1770 Pro: Really can't remember, but it was quite pleasant even if i can't remember how were the mids. Seemed powerful in the bass, will try it again next time.

So basically, i could do a contender list as this :

Most impressive
99C PM3 SRH1540
MDR-Z7
DT-1770
------------------------ Under this line, i would not buy it
TH-610
A2000Z
SR9
Less impressive

I was really disappointed by the SR9, which gave me a first good impression 3 months ago, very expensive for that harsh treble ;(

I couldn't find ZMF Blackwood or Alpha Prime there but that should be expected.
If you have other suggestions, even exotic ones, this store has a lot of brands so i could test most of them :)

Thank you a lot everyone!
Also, if you think i failed to describe headphones sound signatures or want to discuss about it, you're welcome!
I will try to go there after work on Wednesday for a 2 hours listening session.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #20 of 22
For me, the best closed-back headphones I have heard and own................wait for it.....................................Audioquest NightOwl Carbon.

I am sure there are others with higher price tags that have it beat, but my search for closed-backs stopped with the NightOwl. Note: I own the Meze 99 Classics and Oppo PM-3 as well.

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #22 of 22
Hello everyone!

Everything i learned about audiophile for 8 years is thanks to this forum so i am eternally grateful for all you guys bring to the world by contributing here :)

I wish to buy a new closed over-ear headphone around the 500$ price tag.
Actually i have a FiioX5III with ATH-IM02 IEM and a Sony MDR-ZX700 when i don't want to use my IM02.

I love balanced sound, with good separation, clarity and a bit of analytic. My IM02 are currently wonderful for female vocals (Which is around 90% of my music library) and i love their balanced sound. I really love being able to identify each instrument with a good spatialization. I'm not a basshead but like to have balanced bass.

The problem is that i want to get a wider soundstage so i'm looking for a closed over-ear can to use everyday when going outside or at home. If there was an IM02 version of a can i would buy it instantly :)
I did some research on ATH latest SR model SR9 and tested it 2 months ago. I was impressed by the punch of the music and the soundstage but it was too quick of a listening to really analyze the sound.
Very few people seems to use this can here and i read that it has a V-shaped sound. That's what makes me a bit hesitant on buying them.
An alternative i also read here is the Oppo PM3 but its sound seems to be too plain (could get boring as i listen for hours almost everyday) and on-ear instead of over-ear.

Do you have any suggestions that could match my preferences around this price tag?
I place sound quality at most importance criteria, ergonomy, confort comes after.
As i am in Japan, i have easy access to Japanese models from Sony, Audio-Technica but not for American, European or even Chinese headphones...
Thank you very much for your help!

Hey. Hi. Maybe I'm too late to reply, but usually YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If these are the things you want, then you can only get it with the tools that does this job. Right?.. So, go for the SENNHEISER HD800S. Use the XLR cable (it comes with it as well as with other cable), use a balanced DAP-AMP. Use Hi Red files. Nothing will do it as good as this. You want separation, sound stage, balanced and clarity, fair base/bass. This will do it for you. Nothing else will do THE job as you want it as good as this set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back