Best closed/isolation cans under $50
Aug 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

victorshikhman

New Head-Fier
I'm a medical student about to start clinical rotations in a hospital. There's a lot of downtime where I'd like to watch video lectures. I've had Grado SR60 since 2006 and I like them a lot, made a few mods, but they're almost completely open and it can get very noisy in a hospital.

Requirements:
I'd like maximum isolation, with pads that fit over my ears, for under $50 (or very close to it). If they can be folded, even better, because I'll need to (gently) throw them in a backpack at a moment's notice. Also, the video lectures are NOT the best sound quality. Even when the quality is ok, I often have to max out the volume to be able to hear the lecturer. I don't know if some headphones are more efficient at managing sound with lower power that others, but I thought I'd mention my particular use case. Regarding power... Sometimes I watch the lectures on my laptop, plugged in. Other times I watch them on my Blackberry Playbook tablet, or an ipod touch. I do also listen to a variety of music, and watch a ton of movies/shows (kdrama!), but the video lectures are the primary use case for my work-time (I've got my grados at home).

My only experience with the closed headphone type has been with my brother's Koss UR20s, which sound ok, and definitely isolate pretty well (I like that my entire ear fits under the cup), but I'd like to see if I can get better sound. Are the Koss UR40s much better than the UR20s? And yeah, my ears get pretty warm in the UR20s after an hour, but I'm assuming there's not much that can be done about that with a closed headphone.

I did search the forums extensively, but there are so many options, I'm out of my depth here.

So, suggestions?

I am not opposed to getting used cans (in good condition), so if you know of models that normally go for higher but sell for $50 or less used on Amazon or Ebay, please include them.

Thank you in advance!

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
I'm a medical student about to start clinical rotations in a hospital. There's a lot of downtime where I'd like to watch video lectures. I've had Grado SR60 since 2006 and I like them a lot, made a few mods, but they're almost completely open and it can get very noisy in a hospital.

Requirements:
I'd like maximum isolation, with pads that fit over my ears, for under $50 (or very close to it). If they can be folded, even better, because I'll need to (gently) throw them in a backpack at a moment's notice. Also, the video lectures are NOT the best sound quality. Even when the quality is ok, I often have to max out the volume to be able to hear the lecturer. I don't know if some headphones are more efficient at managing sound with lower power that others, but I thought I'd mention my particular use case. Regarding power... Sometimes I watch the lectures on my laptop, plugged in. Other times I watch them on my Blackberry Playbook tablet, or an ipod touch. I do also listen to a variety of music, and watch a ton of movies/shows (kdrama!), but the video lectures are the primary use case for my work-time (I've got my grados at home).

My only experience with the closed headphone type has been with my brother's Koss UR20s, which sound ok, and definitely isolate pretty well (I like that my entire ear fits under the cup), but I'd like to see if I can get better sound. Are the Koss UR40s much better than the UR20s? And yeah, my ears get pretty warm in the UR20s after an hour, but I'm assuming there's not much that can be done about that with a closed headphone.

I did search the forums extensively, but there are so many options, I'm out of my depth here.

So, suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

This list will give you some good options. Scroll down the comparison at the bottom where there is a column rating isolation and one with price. You'll have to check the individual phones that look promising to see if they are foldable: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 8
If on ear would be OK instead of over ear, look into the JVC HA-S400 and HA-S500. Great sound. They have a little higher sensitivity rating than Grados, so you should get a little more volume out of them.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 8
@imackler Thanks for the link! Really helped.

@cel4145 I don't know how much sound isolation I can get with on-ear headphones without it clamping too tight to hurt.

After looking through the post imackler linked to, I'm thinking about a Sony MDR-V6 or a Koss Pro DJ100. I can pick both up used/like-new for about $40 + shipping on Amazon from sellers with good ratings.

The MDR-V6 seem a very safe choice. A 30 years life-cycle for a product designed mostly for a professional audio setting means they're doing something right. The Koss seem to need an amp to hit their peak, which I'm definitely not going to be doing in the near future.

Thoughts?

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
@cel4145 I don't know how much sound isolation I can get with on-ear headphones without it clamping too tight to hurt.
After looking through the post imackler linked to, I'm thinking about a Sony MDR-V6 or a Koss Pro DJ100. I can pick both up used/like-new for about $40 + shipping on Amazon from sellers with good ratings.
The MDR-V6 seem a very safe choice. A 30 years life-cycle for a product designed mostly for a professional audio setting means they're doing something right. The Koss seem to need an amp to hit their peak, which I'm definitely not going to be doing in the near future.

The used MDR-V6 on Amazon that sells for $40 needs new ear pads, that is why they are $20 cheaper then other used MDR-V6s.

I own the Sony V6s and JVC HA-S500-Z
The (brand new) JVC HA-S400s are a little easier to carry around then the MDR-V6s.
(the coiled cable on the MDR-V6 is a little more of a hassle then the JVCs straight cable)
Also the JVCs should offer a more balance sound over the V6s more bassy sound.
So I would assume a lecture would sound a little more clearer on the JVCs.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #6 of 8

Thoughts?

I own the MDR-V6 and have compared them to my friend's koss Pro DJ100s over an amped setup. They would both fit the bill sound wise. Isolation is so-so in either case..not that great. If you are looking for that "I'm in my own world" feeling, I would lean more towards a pair of IEMs that loop around the ears and isolate well.The stock pads of the koss really are lackluster in comfort, I wouldn't use them without a change of pads so I would add that in the costs. it is also a bit bulky in comparison to the V6 and since they are in the DJ style, the earcups rotate and you can lay them flat on a table but it is not that great for throwing in a bag. The sonys are easily transportable because they fold up into a small format within seconds, however they are not great for hanging around the neck.

I could see the v6s working out for you but I am not sure they have the isolation you desire. No comments on the jvcs, never heard them but would like to!

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #7 of 8

Thoughts?

The JVCs will do much better than the Grados at sound isolation, but of course full over ear phones can be better.

The MDR-V6 are a nice sounding headphone for the price. Get the Beyerdynamic replacement pads for the DT250 to get more comfort out of the V6s.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 8
For your application with requirements for isolation, clarity, and portability you might want to consider
in ear monitors (IEMs).  A cheap set with superlative isolation and above average clarity
are the Etymotics EREK-5 or MC5 .  These have - 35 dB - 42 dB of noise isolation! 

The EREK-5 are volume-limited to prevent kids from cranking up the volume over much.
The MC5 are my regular choice for noisy environments, air travel, buses etc.  The EREKs are about $20 on
amazon and you can find the MC5 (Red) for $50.  

All the Etymotics are perhaps more 'clear and neutral' as opposed to 'warm'.  They run a bit lean in
the bass, for example.  With your example of listening to poorly recorded lecures, the extra isolation
and clarity could be a great help.

For your consideration... not everyone can get used to having something in their ear canals. It took
me a full week, before it felt natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back