Best closed headset for about 150$
Sep 7, 2003 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

master83

Head-Fier
I am looking for the best headset there is out there that doesn`t cost 700 $ or so. I want a headset who is able to listen to on an airplane or a bus, therefore I want a closed pair of headphones. I want the headset to be comfortable over a long time use and most of all have great sound including powerful bass. I want to use the headset mostly at home driven by my computer that has a Sound Blaster Live! Soundcard, but in the near future I will purchase a hd-based MP3 player such as the Nomad ZEN of ZEN NX, or a Iriver or Rio. Well, at least a player that doesn`t have a 0,5mW output like my Sony D-EJ2000 CRAP player
mad.gif

So if someone please could help me out here on which headset to buy that will be closed (good isolated), that will be nicely driven by my soundcard and future MP3 player with about 20 mW or so output (each channel) Oh, and if possible tell me which MP3 player I should buy or wait to buy that will be the best of the best at around 3-400 $

One more thing: I`ve been reading the forum and i sometimes don`t know what product you guys are talking about (the NX-1 or the G4 or V6) so I would have appreciated if you could please name the full product name and manufacturer
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I am a newbie!
redface.gif

Tnx in advance!

Sep 7, 2003 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 19
You'll probably want to consider the Beyerdynamic DT250-80 (better for portable sources than the DT250-250), AKG K271 Studio, or one of the Ultrasones.

Sep 7, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 19
what about mp3-player? any suggestions? and are the Sony V6 or Sennheiser HD-280 PRO a good choice for me? I live in Norway and it is quite limited what kind of headset they sell here... mostly Sony, Sennheiser, Koss etc.

Perhaps if anyone would know of a british/swedish/danish site where they sell lots of goodpriced headsets could post them here it would be great! alot cheaper than the cost of sending a headset from the US.

Sep 7, 2003 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 19
DT770s have the most powerful bass of $150 range closed headphones, but the bass is UNCONTROLLED unless you spend good money on an amp.

The DT250-80 is a great sound even unamped, but it has a punchy mid-bass as opposed to deep bass. It does not have the overwhelming nature of DT770s, though.

The AKG K271S has BY FAR the best overall sound of any closed headphone I have heard in the $150 range. It has a crisp clean refined sound, doing the mids and highs way better than the DT770 and slightly better than the DT250-80. Its bass is less prominent than DT250-80s, but it goes deeper. They are more easily powered without an amp than DT250-80s, at 55 ohms!

I recommend the AKG K271S. It is a very neutral, high quality closed headphone and is by far the most comfortable. When you take the drivers off of your head, they disengage and stop playing music. Very ingenius. They also isolate to over 20 decibels, no other closed conventional phone can beat them for isolation, comfort, and fidelity combined. Plus you won't need a special amp for them and they should sound equally good on all types of music.

http://www.headphone.com/ is a good place to start looking for audio beginners; they have a reasonable price range, excellent selection, and a great 30-day return policy: if you are unsatisfied with your purchase you may simply return it within 30 days and you get your money back.

Go to their products section and thumb through the phones that were recommended here.

Cheers,
Geek

Sep 7, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 19
Another vote for the AKG K271 - I've been comparing them extensively to my Sennheiser HD600's and HD280 Pros, well the 271's and 600's totally outclass the 280's, thats for sure, the 280's end up sounding cold and clinical compared to both other phones. The 271 actually has better bass than the 600's, and it is a lot more immediate sounding than the 600's, which can be a little distance. The 600's have better midrange resolution, but the 271's have a more extended and revealing high end.

Anyway, my vote is for the K271's, they can be had for $100 from here (wish I knew about this place before I paid $165 for mine!):

http://www.abemusic.com/akg/k271studio.asp

Sep 7, 2003 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by cscott23
I think that the MDR-CD900ST is one of the best closed headphones made:

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_in...roducts_id=218

Easy to drive. Broader frequency response than the V6 and without the boominess. (and more sound stage).

Be sure to get the beyer pad (velour for the DT250) and make the cans super comfy.

Are those actually any different from the V6? The specs look identical to the V6 and so do the headphones except for name.

Sep 7, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by master83
I am looking for the best headset there is out there that doesn`t cost 700 $ or so. I want a headset who is able to listen to on an airplane or a bus, therefore I want a closed pair of headphones. I want the headset to be comfortable over a long time use and most of all have great sound including powerful bass. I want to use the headset mostly at home driven by my computer that has a Sound Blaster Live! Soundcard, but in the near future I will purchase a hd-based MP3 player such as the Nomad ZEN of ZEN NX, or a Iriver or Rio. Well, at least a player that doesn`t have a 0,5mW output like my Sony D-EJ2000 CRAP player
mad.gif

So if someone please could help me out here on which headset to buy that will be closed (good isolated), that will be nicely driven by my soundcard and future MP3 player with about 20 mW or so output (each channel) Oh, and if possible tell me which MP3 player I should buy or wait to buy that will be the best of the best at around 3-400 $

One more thing: I`ve been reading the forum and i sometimes don`t know what product you guys are talking about (the NX-1 or the G4 or V6) so I would have appreciated if you could please name the full product name and manufacturer
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I am a newbie!
redface.gif

Tnx in advance!

Sorry to say this, but it's the European regulations (set up by French lawmakers) that dictates the maximum power level of portable devices. You see, French/EU law now c(r)aps the maximum decibel level of current portable audio devices (yep, that includes the HD-based MP3 players, as well) at only 105 dB - with the bundled stock headphones/earbuds. And some stock 'phones are far more efficient than others. Which means that the main reason for that 0,5 mW output power of the Euro D-EJ2000 is that the stock earbuds that come with that unit delivers a very high efficiency level (108 dB @ 1 mW). Several HD-based MP3 players officially sold in the European market have significantly higher power output - but that's only because their stock 'phones are particularly inefficient.

The only way to get an un-c(r)apped D-EJ2000 [or any other un-c(r)apped portable audio player] is to order it directly from Japan or the USA - and be prepared to pay big $$$ for shipping and customs charges. But better do so in a hurry, because even the European-market HD-based MP3 players will soon be c(r)apped at only 0,1 mW output.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 7, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 19
I believe in the case of the ipod, there is a way to remove the limit imposed by the regulations. In the early versions it is a case of deleting some file, and the latest versions (by memory) require a firmware flash.. Google for the link.

Sep 7, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 19
Maybe so with the Euro iPod - but doing so will VOID THE WARRANTY! Which means only remove the volume c(r)ap at your own risk - and be prepared to pay full list price for an entire new player (or at least pay for all parts, labour and shipping charges, which can nearly total the full list price of a new player) just for Apple Europe to fix it (even if something else unrelated to the tweak goes wrong with the unit).

Some of the other HD-based MP3 players will have the output power hard-c(r)apped - and the only way to remove the output c(r)ap is to destroy the player's innards.

Sep 7, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
Are those actually any different from the V6? The specs look identical to the V6 and so do the headphones except for name.

Yes, they're a different animal. The freq response of the v6/7506 is more like 16-22kHz. The 900 doesn't fold and comes with a straight cord (IIRC).

Sep 7, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 19
Unfortunately, the K271 are somewhat inefficient unless you have a full-strength iPod or Zen. I'm sure I've mentioned this before Geek... It's not the ohmage, but the efficiency.

They are good though.

I'll also drop in a recommendation for a Sennheiser HD25-1. Can be sibilant and somewhat sharp, but extremely efficient, very good with Euro limited iPod, accurate and powerful sounding. Isolation is probably as good as the K271, although it is supra-aural to achieve this. Quite portable too, unlike the K271.

Sep 7, 2003 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by cscott23
Yes, they're a different animal. The freq response of the v6/7506 is more like 16-22kHz. The 900 doesn't fold and comes with a straight cord (IIRC).

Actually, the V6 is 5Hz to 30KHz like the CD900. Impedence is the same, too, at 63 ohms. The cord length and weight are different though. Maybe same drivers but internal housing differences?

Edit: Just found some more info about these: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&postid=152045. Now I kinda want to hear one of those for myself...

Sep 7, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #15 of 19
Frequency response 10 - 20,000 Hz
Transducer Principle Dynamic
Nominal impedance 24 ohm
Characteristic SPL @ 1 kHz 107 dB
Ear coupling Closed supra-aural
Connector (See Cords and Connectors) Gold-plated stereo miniplug (1/8 inch) and detachable 1/4 inch plug
Connection cable Coiled oxygen-free copper; Single-sided entry, 10 feet (3 m)
Weight 230g (without cable)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back