Best closed headphones without amp around $150?
Jan 18, 2016 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MattAKramer

New Head-Fier
Looking to get a pair of closed headphones with a max budget of around $150.  I'm used to the sound of shure se215's and Jaybird Bluebuds which seem to both have very similar sounds which I enjoy.  I believe these both tend to have a "v-shape" sound to them.

Looking for something to be used with my iphone, xbox, roku, laptop, planes, etc without requiring the use of an amp.  Previously I've tried the older M50 and DT770 in-store and both sounded OK, but it's been a few years.  I know there is a newer version of the M50's out with detachable cables and I'm sure a variety of other headphones have entered the market that I'm not familiar with. 

Any suggestions other than the M50X or DT770 in this price range?  I was also considering a gaming headset like the HyperX cloud II's but the general feedback from what I've read says that you will be better off buying a dedicated pair of headphones with a separate mic added later through a modmic. 

Looking for a closed set for isolation as this will be used at work and on airplanes in addition to daily listening at home.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 12
The HP150 is a bit less aggressive and has less of an In-Your-Face signature than the ATH-M50X. Overall, the HP150 is more even and smoother and some would even say it is easier to listen to than the M50X because it is less fatiguing. The se-215 offers a warm, rich sound that is less neutral than the HP150.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/soundmagic-hp150-premium-full-size-folding-headphones

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 12
  The HP150 is a bit less aggressive and has less of an In-Your-Face signature than the ATH-M50X. Overall, the HP150 is more even and smoother and some would even say it is easier to listen to than the M50X because it is less fatiguing. The se-215 offers a warm, rich sound that is less neutral than the HP150.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/soundmagic-hp150-premium-full-size-folding-headphones

Sounds like they may not be the best fit for me based on the preference of se-215's style of sound. 

Would any of the DT770 models (16, 32, or 80 ohm) be better or worse than the M50X without an amp?

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 12
I just tried the m50x and dt770 (80 ohm) at guitar center. The dt770 were way more comfortable but my iPhone had trouble powering them and even at max volume was relatively quiet. The m50x sounded pretty nice but were considerably less comfortable, especially the headband.

Would the 32ohm dt770 work better without an amp and powered by a phone or Xbox, or will the results be similar.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 12
Save a bit, and go for the Audio Technica MSR7's.
Amazon has them for $211., a true bargain.
(Reduced from $250 or so.)

They're "better" IMO than any of those already
mentioned.  They'll do fine without an amp, but
of course will benefit from one.

Check the reviews and comments here on H-F
and elsewhere.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 12
Save a bit, and go for the Audio Technica MSR7's.
Amazon has them for $211., a true bargain.
(Reduced from $250 or so.)

They're "better" IMO than any of those already
mentioned.  They'll do fine without an amp, but
of course will benefit from one.

Check the reviews and comments here on H-F
and elsewhere.

I've decided to stick with my IEMs for now. I just didn't find many of the over the ear models comfortable or better sounding than the se-215s. I think I'll revisit these when my budget is larger. Seems like sub 200 headphones don't drastically improve the quality over my IEMs, at least not to my ears.

Thanks for the help!

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 12
Go back to Guitar Center and try the Marshall Monitor, it should be there. Try it with or without the FTF system (2 felt pads in each ear)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back