Best closed headphones under $400?
Dec 6, 2004 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

D41LYBR34Dm4n

New Head-Fier
Preferrably ones that cover your entire ear.

I'm upgrading from my Grado SR-60's and I was hoping to find some cans that weren't so loud in public, but also sound great. Someone recommended me both the Sony V6's and the Ultrasone 650's, but I'm still trying to decide.

I've had some pretty bad experiences with cheap closed headphones, and for some reason I can't get out of the mindset that all closed headphones that cover your whole ear always sound muffled because of the nature of the design.

Dec 7, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 8
D41LYBR34Dm4n, hi
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82868

Look at this: a review from headfier Commando

" Monster Closed Headphone Test #2 "

Dec 7, 2004 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 8
Some of the good (IMHO) closed headphones that I currently own or have owned in the past and I could recommend are the Beyerdynamic DT 831, DT 250-80, Sony V6, and Sennheiser 280. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but I currently like my new Beyer DT 250's the best. I prefer velour pads over pleather, and the two Beyer cans I mentioned have the soft velour pads while the Sonys and Senns have pleather. I wear glasses most of the time and the pleather cushions often make distracting noises against my glasses when I turn my head. If these are for portable use, the Sony and Senn 'phones have an advantage in that they are both folding. One common modification that a lot of people do (and I hope to try soon), is put the velour pads from the Beyer 250's onto the Sony V6 headphones. This may make them the perfect portable closed can for me then.

Have you considered canal phones? There are some excellent options available from Shure and Etymotic in your price range if those are an option.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back