Best Closed headphones under $2000
Jun 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 13
At $2000 (USD to be sure?), I don't think there's any closed can you couldn't afford. Best is a subjective term, many like the XC, many the Fostex TH-6/900... What characteristics are you looking for?

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 13
Well I listen to my music lying down, so weight isn't much of an issue.

Should be easier to drive, I've a Schiit Lyr and RSA shadow and don't intend to buy another amp.

I listen to loads and loads of rock but not a bass head at all.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 13
Audeze is known for extremely detailed and extended bass... LCD-2's are a top recommendation for rock, and the other cans from the parent company don't vary to far from the house signature. My recommendation would to be to try to get to a meet up or store where you can audition as many cans as possible. What other headphones do you have right now?

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 13
I currently own HiFiMan He-500 , sadly there are no stores here in Mumbai , India. 

The group that we have , none have any Audeze products and sadly there is no way for me to 'audition' any. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 13
Unfortunately, there's no easy recommendation for the "best". If I were you, I'd go to the summit-fi forum section and read about the top closed choices there. Beyerdynamic t5p, Alpha Dog, Fostex TH-600 or TH-900, Audeze XC... Those seem to be the top choices. Buying blind is never ideal, but at least you can try to read as much as possible to try to get close to what you want. Good luck to you in getting what you need!

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 13
Well I listen to my music lying down, so weight isn't much of an issue.

If you are lying down flat (or propped up by a pillow), I find that weight and cup size play an important factor.  Headphones with drivers bigger than 40mm tend to have circumaural cups that will be pressed against a pillow shifting the position a lot when lying down.  Also, the heavier cans rely on the headband to support and distribute the weight.  If the headphones are heavy, gravity will pull them off you when in a horizontal position, even if they seem to have strong clamping pressure when upright. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 13
I'm a big fan of the Vibro.

Besides that, my big headphones don't fall off when I'm lying down. I think it depends on the pillow.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 13
Beyerdynamic DT150 is one of the best closed headphones, no matter price! And very comfortable for laying down. All the other headphones full size cans with circumaural cups will either slide down or will be pushed up by a pillow.

That effects inner acoustic inside the cup and sound changes, personally I hate that.

If you want to lay down while listening to headphones get a lounge chair...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back