Best closed headphones for under $100
Jan 15, 2008 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

anothermiler

New Head-Fier
So I recently bought a new DAP (Cowon D2) and decided it was time to upgrade the headphones. Currently I have some old Sony EX-51 in-ear phones. I have listened to a few high end headphones recently (one of my friends is a music producer) and really like the depth and clarity of the sound they give - so out with the old, in with the new.

My dilemma here is what to go with. I have a few "musts": they cannot be open - library/public use is needed. Portability isn't necessary (I will probably still use my old headphones for running etc.). Basically what I want is the best balanced sounding and comfortable headphone. Oh yes, I would really really like to stay under $100 (exceptions can be made for exceptional phones).

What do you knowledgeable folks here have to recommend? Thanks in advance.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 21
From my experience and based on your criteria I'd recommend the Denon AH-D1000 at ~$100. If you want to spend less, the Panasonic RP-HTX7 is a great choice at ~$40. A search should give you lots of info on both of these.

Good luck!

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 21
Thanks for the reply. If it helps any I like good ambiance, good definition, and a fuller, balanced sound and tight bass. In terms of music - I don't listen to country, rap or hip hop that much. I most often find myself listening to a mix of acoustic guitar, rock/classic rock or alternative music. And classical stuff when studying.

Hope this helps.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 21
for me, it's a toss up between the Denon's if you can get them at the right time from amazon or ebay, or the Equation Audio RP21's. the 21's are less subtle than the Denon's and for the most part, less detailed, but they can surprise!

Jan 15, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 21
heard good things about the RP21's and ES7s from AudioTechnica.

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockbottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heard good things about the RP21's and ES7s from AudioTechnica.

at your price tag, those two are probably THE TWO headphones.

I tend to pend to ES7... but that's only me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 21
Thanks for the responses. I've narrowed down to the D1000's or the ES7's. I can get them both for $100, so price doesn't factor in. Does anyone have any have any thoughts about how these two sound? Additionally, comfort - I tried on a pair of Senn HD280's and really disliked the fit. Too much clamping force = headaches after a while.

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 21
how about the sony v6? its a studio can, so its very accurate and you will hear exactly what the people in the studio heard, bass is tight, isolation is good, and its a pretty good sounding can, not very fun, but its a good starting place

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 21
Where did you get Denon D1000s for under $100? Seems like no one has them on sale anymore, only price I can find is 150...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back