Best closed headphones for producing?
Dec 6, 2015 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

suppaduppa

Head-Fier
I have used the DT770 600ohmversion with leather pads for years. I love the sound and the sound isolation is good (I hate hearing background noise). I make electronic music and got recent results. Im just asking if it's worth investing in any other phones that are closed in 2016. I haven't looked at the market in 10+ years so I have no idea what's going on at the moment.
Also please move this thread to whatever section it belongs, i posted in in the high end section by mistake.

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 4
There are honestly not very many good options in the closed headphone market that I would consider for production. Someone's probably going to mention the Mr Speakers Ether-C, but I haven't heard that one so I can't offer any comment on it.

For production work, consistency and familiarity with your equipment is just as important as quality. Since you've been using the DT770 for a decade, I think the best thing you can do is look at this: http://sonarworks.com/

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 4
  There are honestly not very many good options in the closed headphone market that I would consider for production. Someone's probably going to mention the Mr Speakers Ether-C, but I haven't heard that one so I can't offer any comment on it.

For production work, consistency and familiarity with your equipment is just as important as quality. Since you've been using the DT770 for a decade, I think the best thing you can do is look at this: http://sonarworks.com/

I never use my monitors due really bad room acoustics so im limited to headphones. I hate background noise even the smallest ones so I need closed headphones.

About the sonarworks thing, that sounds really interesting, almost too good to be true... does it really work?
In "currently supported headphones" I see that the DT770 600ohm version is not supported tho...

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 4
It's not a world of difference, and you can always try the free trial with the DT770-250.
You could also send yours in for measurements (or purchase a new one, I'm sure if they have the 250's then can find the 600's; then you'd only have to send them the pads).

Proper eq/hrtf/calibration/voodoo can do wonders to headphone response. Like I said, there's a free trial so it doesn't hurt to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back