Best Closed Headphones for PC Gaming as well as general audio use (music, video, etc.) around $150?
Aug 23, 2013 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EvanMS

New Head-Fier
  Looking for a pair of closed,  over-the-ear/circumaural headphones mainly for PC Gaming (all different types of games, but I like playing fps's like tf2 and cs), but also secondarily for video and music. I do not listen to music with heavy base, sobass is not that important, ant I'm not a major audiophile with all kinds of audio gear like sound card, amps, etc. I want the headphones to have a 3.5 mm connector, so I can use it with my computer, phone, and tablet. The headphones must be under $200, but preferably closer to $150 (many are on sale on amazon though). The headphones must be comfortable, as I will often be wearing them for extended periods of time.
        I've heard very good things about Sennheiser, but it seems like most of their quality products are open headphones, so I'm pretty sure the best I can get in my price range is the HD 449. If anyone happens to know, how does the sound quality and comfortability compare between the hd449 and the more popular hd555?
        I figured that I should get headphones instead of a "gaming headset" because I've heard that gaming headsets are often overpriced for the mediocre quality of audio. I will most likely buy a decent ModMic or a clip-on mic in the future. And is the virtual 7.1 surround sound that many gaming headsets offer really worth it, because personally it seems like a gimmick to me?

All suggestions are appreciated,
-Evan 

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 10
Hd 439

Hd 449

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
bump!
anyone else?

You might find a good deal on some used Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones.

Here is one.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/678572/fs-hfi-780-dt1350-a900x-zoro-hd

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
You might find a good deal on some used Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones.

Here is one.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/678572/fs-hfi-780-dt1350-a900x-zoro-hd

Agree'd CEL is selling his a900x $10 cheaper than I did [although I did not charge shipping] still that is about the best price your going to get on the Ath a900x and at that price it is a wonderful first can for any one! Not to mention the money you save can be used to buy a potential Dac and amp that will work with Surround Sound effects that you'll want for FPS 

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I'm not charging shipping.
smily_headphones1.gif

Pff shame on you, undercutting me by $10 xD

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Already sold, too. So no more competition from me
wink.gif

Well good for us :D, my buyer is happy and so is yours ^^ *HIGH FIVE* 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back