Best closed headphones for office use
May 29, 2007 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Fush

Head-Fier
What is the best pair of closed headphones I can get, in the sub $400 area? I need a pair for office use, and if they're good in airplanes and such, that's a bonus. I came very close to buying a pair of Bose QuietComfort 3 when I visited the US recently. They're only $350 there, compared to $575 here in Norway. But after reading some of the comments and reviews here, I'm glad I didn't... Are the QC3's in particular really as bad as one can get an impression of here, or do people just dislike Bose in general?

Some of the music I like to listen to includes Norah Jones, Morcheeba, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Röyksopp, ++. I currently own Sennheiser PX-100, HD212 Pro and Beyerdynamic DT-231, which are all good for their respective uses. I currently use the 212's on airplanes, and switch between those and the Beyerdynamic's for office use. The PX-100 are great when traveling light. My source is mainly the Sony NW-HD5 MP3 player. No amp yet.

Some of the phones that have caught my attention now are the Audio-Technica ANC7, ES7 and Sennheiser PCX-450. I haven't had an option to audition any of them yet, though. The main focus for me now is isolation, with comfort and sound quality as priority number two and three. Price comes at 4th, I think I can afford a pretty decent pair. Oh, and looks are important.
smily_headphones1.gif
They shouldn't be too big. I think the size of the QC3 is just about right. Also, if the set has active noise cancelling, I would prefer rechargeable batteries, so I can charge them at work instead of buying new batteries all the time.

So, what do you guys think? Closed cans for the office, what are my options?

May 29, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 21
The Audio-Technica ES7 is getting alot of attention right now so they are probably a good bet. I would have to add the Sennheiser HD-25 and Equation Audio RP-21 to your list.

May 29, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 21
May 29, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 21
another vote for the ATH-ES7 --- heard many a good thing about them

May 29, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another vote for the ATH-ES7 --- heard many a good thing about them

If you are planning on getting amp eventually then K271S with velour pads for sure. I would recommend D2000, they are just plain awesome, but isolation is not their strongest suit.

May 29, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 21
My vote as I voted with my money was the ATH-ANC7, better than the Bose and half the cost.

May 30, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for the ES7.

I could fold them flat and keep them fit nicely in my laptop case. This was impossible with my DarthBeyer and other fullsize AT cans.

Aren't those more like a portable, not full size kind?

May 30, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 21
I just saw a review of noise canceling phones in Wired magazine.

ANC7 - 9/10
Bose QC3 - 8/10
Senn 450 - 7/10
Phillips 9500 - 6/10
Sony C60 - 4/10

Do the ANC7's have an upfront Grado type presentation with clear, non-attenuated highs?

Ah, just read your review. Looks like the highs are rolled off. . .

May 30, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #11 of 21
So, are you guys saying that the ES7's have better isolation than the QC3 and PCX-450? Remember that isolation is the most important thing for me now. I understand that the sound quality of the ES7's is tremendeous, and I can't wait to audition them for some other purpose. But for office/plane use I need as much isolation as I can get. Will ES7 still be the number one pick?

May 30, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Schu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just saw a review of noise canceling phones in Wired magazine.

ANC7 - 9/10
Bose QC3 - 8/10
Senn 450 - 7/10
Phillips 9500 - 6/10
Sony C60 - 4/10

Do the ANC7's have an upfront Grado type presentation with clear, non-attenuated highs?

Ah, just read your review. Looks like the highs are rolled off. . .

But not nearly as badly as the Bose that I was comparing them too.

Actually, I have an email from one person who got the ANC7 telling me that he was surprised in how close they sounded to his HD600s. Take that for one data point.

May 30, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't those more like a portable, not full size kind?

What I meant is the ES7 can be used in office, as well as a closed portable effectively. I've tried DarthBeyer and A900LTD in office, but I prefer the ES7 just because of its portability. I can just pack it in my laptop case when I'm on the run.

May 30, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 21
I've been in the same shoes a while ago. I decided I didn't want to look foolish in the office wearing full size headphones (you have to at least look like you are working) and went with in ear monitors. After a lot of research I ended up with Etymotic ER4S and Corda Aria. I could not be heappier!

Fush;2994156 said:
What is the best pair of closed headphones I can get, in the sub $400 area? I need a pair for office use, and if they're good in airplanes and such, that's a bonus. I came very close to buying a pair of Bose QuietComfort 3 when I visited the US recently...QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back