Best closed headphones for Chord Mojo
Mar 25, 2018 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

S-O8

100+ Head-Fier
OK, So I have a rather varied collection of headphones but I am after views re closed headphones on the Chord Mojo.

I have Oppo PM-2 and 3 ... Focal Utopia and Clear ... Audeze EL-8 open and Technics EAH-T700E ... Oppo PM2 as well ...

I am looking at Audeze EL-8 closed .., any other ideas ? I currently use the PM=3 as with my Mojo the Technics sounds rubbish. I prefer the Focal Clear but they are open.

Views on closed ... sensible prices ...

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 15
Great questions, I'm after exactly the same thing so shall watch with interest. I was looking at Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 or PM-3s so will see what else springs up. I've heard good things about Mr Speakers Aeon however, they are crazy expensive in the UK, so not an option for me.

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 15
Great questions, I'm after exactly the same thing so shall watch with interest. I was looking at Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 or PM-3s so will see what else springs up. I've heard good things about Mr Speakers Aeon however, they are crazy expensive in the UK, so not an option for me.
The Campfire Cascade sounds amazing with a Mojo. I’ve read that the AFC is a great sounding headphone as well but I haven’t personally tried them.

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 15
Shure 1540

Mar 28, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 15
Opinions re closed headphones w. Chord Mojo?

The well made Cascade headphones fun, but that bass bump was unnatural and annoyed me after awhile, so returned them, though for hip-hop, metal, electronic lovers it could be the ticket. Aeon Flow Closed had better balance but still wasn't "The One" for me. More affordable Oppo PM-3 had treble that was underwhelming and the PM-3 ear pad replacement issue. Wish there was closed, over-ear to bridge price gap between Aeon Flow Closed and upcoming Sennheiser HD820. Ether C had very good retrieval of details and good balance across spectrum, but there was thinness to sound that didn't click.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 28, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 15
I find my Sennheiser HD25 sounds very nice on Chord Mojo

Mar 28, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 15
Sennheiser HD25 is a headphone transformed by the Mojo (hearing is believing!!). Focal Spirit Classic was also exceptional with the Chord. Can't recommend those though (appalling build) but maybe the Focal Listen or the new Listen Pro might be similarly great

The Magic of the Mojo is how it turbocharges lower impedance closed or relatively modest headphones making them sound so much more open, dynamic and altogether bigger and grander in scale of sound. The effect on higher impedance open headphones is less pronounced IMHO.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 15
Ether C with the Mojo ... ? I can see one comment re this earlier but does anyone else have any views ?

I would recommend the AKG K872 with the Mojo. I had the Ether C but had the same "thinness" issue someone mentioned earlier. Comparing the 2, the K872 was slightly *thicker*, slightly larger soundstage, slightly better detail retrieval, and more bass than the Ether C, although still a bit less bass than I prefer.

Apr 2, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 15
I would recommend the AKG K872 with the Mojo. I had the Ether C but had the same "thinness" issue someone mentioned earlier. Comparing the 2, the K872 was slightly *thicker*, slightly larger soundstage, slightly better detail retrieval, and more bass than the Ether C, although still a bit less bass than I prefer.

Read about K872 and shortly after heard isolation from outside sound is about average. Isolation from outside noise very important to me. Cannot wear IEM/CIEM or would go that route. Heard Aeon C fairly good at isolation if buyer requests Mr.Speakers install their best isolating pads on them. Sennheiser HD280/HD380 isolate good, but sound quality not on level of a Aeon C. Active NC headphones muck up the sound quality, so they are a big no go.

>>Correction: It was confirmed to me that stock pads sold with Aeon C are the best ones for isolation.
It was another version of pads used during testing that had lower isolation effectiveness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 10, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 15
I just bought Mojo, paired with DAP iBasso DX50 through coax.
I tested pair with my headphones:

Open
- HD600
- Grado SE80e

Close
- Sennheiser Amperior
- BeyerDynamic TP51P

Surprisingly, Mojo singing good with BeyerDynamic TP51P , added soundstage, and detail.
Become my fav set up...

~ron~

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #13 of 15
If you're on a tight budget... check out Beyerdynamic's DT 770 series.

I have an open Grado GS1000i which I love, but decided to play with closed cans (especially in an office environment), so decided to try it a try... I LOVE it so far. Really good sound isolation and pretty comfortable too. Yeah, it's a different game from open cans, but not bad at all!!!

I'm using the 250 Ohm version with Valhalla 2 at home and Nuforce iDo at the office. I am super happy with the setup!

cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back