best closed headphones for around ~$100-125?
Jan 20, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #16 of 25
I would Vote for ATH-ES7, I just got one, simply amazing~both sound and appearance. I actually liked it better than my ESW9 because I don't have to care about the wood finish ^ ^

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D1000 v. D1001. No diff.

Surely the extra 1 is slightly better? :p

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyumetsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm seriously looking at the k271 but I missed a couple sales due to paypal complications. they seem to have a pretty big fanclub here, so maybe they can chip their two cents in.

Ok, I'm here!
I love mine, but I seem to have a different impression of the sound than the rest of the community. I'l give a really short review.
To me, they can be quite sibilant depending on the song, their mids are amazing, like everyone says, and they are pretty bassy to me, impact and extension, unlike what everyone says. Hope I helped!

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #22 of 25
I had the A700 and the Creative Aurvana Live! (same as D1001), and I think the A700s are better in terms of SQ and comfort. But they are very big, and the fit is loose, which makes them comfy, but if your head will be bent over (think reading at a desk), they will feel like they're falling off. If you ever will want to wear them out of the house, the D1001 would be the way to go. Also consider the Live!, which sell for just $80 and are identical except for looks.

If you don't absolutely need closed, though, I'd go with the AD700, the open version, which are great (except for reading at a desk, same problem). At only $100 its the best deal.

Either way, $80 for Live!/1001 or $120 for A700, both are great at their price points. Both are comfy, both sound good; the A700 goes farther around your ear and earlobe, and has a wider soundstage; you can wear the D1001 out of the house and they're not too loose. But both will make your ears hot, which is why I just bought a used D2000 off ebay. If they don't work out, I'll look at the Beyerdynamic DT770/80; like you I wanted to only spend $100 but ended up deciding it might be worth the extra $100 to step up.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #23 of 25
Re-reading this thread thanks to the bump, I can't imagine why anyone would recommend anything other than D1001. They fit the bill perfectly. (Maybe it's a closed-minded day for me).

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re-reading this thread thanks to the bump, I can't imagine why anyone would recommend anything other than D1001. They fit the bill perfectly. (Maybe it's a closed-minded day for me).

Poorer isolation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back