Best Closed Headphones for a College Student?
Feb 13, 2010 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

HaiDukken!

New Head-Fier
Hey, this is my first post, so everyone go easy on me if I sound dumb on here.

The situation is that I'm about to leave for college, and I would like to get a good set of closed headphones. What I need from the headphones is that they can 1. isolate well, 2. be comfortable, and 3. provide me with decent sound quality. I am willing to spend about $100 for some. Since these are going to be my first good set of cans, I am wondering how big of a sound improvement I would get if I am upgrading from the stock Apple earbuds, which I know are pretty bad to Head-Fiers, and would these headphones benefit from an amp?

I listen to a really wide range of music, and they are all in FLAC format, because I read that this is the best quality to listen to.

Thank You, and any post is appreciated!

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 20
I'd go for the Audio Technica ES7, even though its awful in terms of comfort, but excellent in everything else

or the Denon D1001. Either or are ideal. You can get both of them here on headfi forums for around 100$ if you are patient and wait for a deal. The ATH-50s are too big and bulky, if you are college kid you will be moving around a lot more than likely...ES7 on ears, or Denon D1001 all the way.

i wouldnt feel ok recommending anything else..and the improvement over stock buds may be enough to make you more interested in headphones and maybe later becoming an audiophile

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 20
Welcome to Head-Fi,

The Denon AHD 1001is a nice headphone that offers isolation, good sound quality, comfort, will run well without an amp and can be had for around your budget. Yes it will be vastly superior than iBuds. The HiFiMan RE0 is a good option if you prefer an IEM and will also be far better than those crappy buds. The Denon will offer more bass and the RE0 will give you better clarity.

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 20
Hmmm, ive been looking at the Shure SRH440's and the Sennheiser HD280 as well. Would those match up well with the headphones you guys have suggested? I'm liking these two because they seem like they would have a longevity about them if you are able to replace the cushion and the wire.

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 20
Oh, well i just plan on keeping these headphones in my dorm room. I don't plan on bringing anything that expensive out in the open. Sorry, i should have mentioned that
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #9 of 20
I'd pass on the Hd280. The Shures, D1001, M50, ES7 are all good options.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #11 of 20
everything benefits from an an amp

but not every amp is for every headphone
or vice versa

so you might need another thread for that
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #12 of 20
Everytime I see a mention of the D1001, I chime in with this link:

Costco - Creative Aurvana Live! Vivid Performance For Music Connoisseurs

That's the Creative Aurvana Live, and it's essentially the same headphone as the D1001. Same exact drivers and pads, and some other parts as well. It's a clone from the same manufacturer, Foster. Some people prefer the denon slightly, but I've also heard people say the prefer the CAL! Either way, I'm willing to bet any difference is negligible. For comfort of mind you might wan't to go with the Denon's, or you ight just prefer their appearance, but personally I don't think it's worth it given that these are way cheaper and essentially the same.

Keep in mind I haven't heard them, though that shouldn't matter for what I'm pointing out.

Feb 13, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everytime I see a mention of the D1001, I chime in with this link:

Costco - Creative Aurvana Live! Vivid Performance For Music Connoisseurs

That's the Creative Aurvana Live, and it's essentially the same headphone as the D1001.

i'm not sure about this....

frequency range for the creative: 10-30k
frequency range for the d1001: 8-37k

obviously, design shouldn't affect the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back