Best closed headphones for $80
Apr 3, 2010 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

mralexosborn

Headphoneus Supremus
I want closed headphones or a new pair of IEM's. I have a pair of Shure SE110. So, I need bass. I need no one to hear my music. I am looking at the Sennheiser HD280 ($80). I want the Audio Technica ($100) but tis a bit out of my budget. Should I go for the HD280s?

Thanks

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 22
I have a pair of HD280's and I like the sound but I find them a little lacking in bass. They also clamp fairly hard and aren't the most comfortable headphones. I have to take mine off every hour or so to relieve pressure and heat. Which Audio Technica are you referring to? Also what are your music preferences?
The M50 would probably be a good bet though I haven't heard it,, I've read some positive things about it.

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 22
JVC HARX900 $50
ATH-A700 - out of price range? they're 100ish
Shure SRH440 - $80ish
ATH - WS70 (portable) - $70

those should all be solid choices.

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 22
What about the Creative Aurvana Lives? Near identical (if not totally identical) to Denon 1001. The Denons are known for their bass. And for $80 you could get both the headphones and the materials needed to do markl mods on them if you should so choose.

Got the headphones and the dynamat for the markl mods for around $65 from Amazon with free shipping.

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #7 of 22
The Creative Aurvana Live headphones are very good for the price, but for most people they won't be considering closed headphones. For me, they just laid on my ears since the earpads are pretty small. Well, they covered my ears only about half the time. I don't even have big ears!

I'd probably suggest the Shure SRH-440 over these. I haven't heard the 440's, but the 240's are so good that I upgraded to the 840's.

The Sennheiser 280s sound really good and I'll have to try them sometime.

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of HD280's and I like the sound but I find them a little lacking in bass. They also clamp fairly hard and aren't the most comfortable headphones. I have to take mine off every hour or so to relieve pressure and heat.

I also have a pair of HD 280s. As far as the bass is concerned, the mid-bass indeed is lacking, but the low-end bass is pretty tremendous. Still, it causes the feeling of a distinct lack of bass. I suppose you could EQ some of the mid-bass back in if you really wanted, but it hasn't really been too big an issue for me.

As far as the clamping is concerned, it doesn't clamp too hard for me, though they can get sweaty - and therefore uncomfortable - in warmer weather [which is why I just purchased the Panasonic RP-HJE900 IEMs...which, despite not being burned in yet, are still awesome]. The flip side is that they isolate pretty darn well.

Generally speaking, I enjoy the sound of them: they're well worth $80.

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #9 of 22
I use a HD428 as closed portable. Give it a good burn in and the overall sound and bass come to live. I often listen to bassy music and I'm quite pleased. With a Fiio E5 you have more bass because the HD428 does love power.

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 22
Might want to give the Sony XB500 or XB700 a shot, XB500 is under $50 and has good bass.

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #12 of 22
Purchasing the ATH-M50s was a pinnacle of my life, that and throwing away my low-rider skullcandyz. I would just save up $20 bucks and go for the AT's

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a HD428 as closed portable. Give it a good burn in and the overall sound and bass come to live. I often listen to bassy music and I'm quite pleased. With a Fiio E5 you have more bass because the HD428 does love power.

I'm actually getting myself that exact same setup. : D

I'll report on my impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back