Best Closed Headphones for 150$?
Aug 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Eithay

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones under 150$. I've been looking into the DT770, the ATH M50 and the Shure SRH840

They will be used for listening some Techno/Trance/Dance and Classical music. I don't plan to use them on an amp and I'll probably use them to game as well.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 15
I used to own the M50s and I they just didn't satisfy me.  Some people love them, while others feel they are just meh.    I have listened to the DT770 and the strong midbass punch started to bother me after a couple of minutes.  I've never heard the Shure model.

The Sennheiser HD25 and the Ultrasone HFI-580 (I own both models) are incredible headphones.  The HD25 is a classic...you can find them used for around $150.  I would recommend those to you.  If you want to buy new, and if you are a basshead, look at the HFI580s, which go for $120 on Amazon.    Both these  models can run fine without an amp.

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
Thanks for your input

I'd rather buy them slightly used as, I think, you get more value than buying new. Is the HD25 comfortable to use?

When I first got them they had so much clamping force that I could only use them for an hour or so (had to take a break to let my ears breathe) .  I just realized lately that I can use them for extended periods without felling any discomfort.  

I would have to say that yes, they are comfortable, but your experience might vary. 

The best thing to do is to buy them used on the sales forum...if you find them uncomfortable you can sell them for the same price you bought them for.    The other day I  took them off just to look at them and  I came to the conclusion that they looked brand new - not one scratch or blemish.    I bought mine back in 2004 and they are in perfect condition; the plastic they use is designed to resist nuclear impacts.   There is a good chance that the used pair you buy will look new.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 15
+1 for Ultrasones

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 15
Go for the Ultrasones.  But I suggest the 680s over the 580s.  I had both and the sound from the 680s is much more balanced.  I really love them.  I've had a few different pairs in that price range and these are the ones I recommend every time. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 15
Just an other question,

I understand that the Ultrasones are more "fun" headphones than audiophile one. Is it true? They would be perfect for me as this is what I'm looking for.

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Just an other question,

I understand that the Ultrasones are more "fun" headphones than audiophile one. Is it true? They would be perfect for me as this is what I'm looking for.

Both are more fun than audiophile.  The HD25s get closer to audiophile levels.

You gotta love bass if you chose the Ultrasones.   Are you a basshead? 

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 15
I have an other question,

Are the 580 solid or I better be buying a pair of IEM if I'm moving? I have to admit that I'm not really gentle with my headphones while on the go so it's worth asking.

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 15
The Ultrasones are solid...but I can't think of another headphone that is more rugged than the HD25. Also, not all IEMs can take a beating; most are quite fragile, actually. I dont think the best constructed IEM can take the beating the HD25 can.

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 15
Thanks again! What I like about IEM is that they take so little space that I can put them in a little pocket in my wheelchair so they are protected. I think I'll go with the Ultrasone even though the HD25 seems to be a very good option as well.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #14 of 15
Congratulations :) Do share your personal experience with your new cans here...

Rock On...

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 15
That's what I like about IEMs too - for portable use, nothing beats them.    If you decide to go for an IEM, look at the CKM500.  You will be able to get those and a good portable headphone like the PX100-II (they are open, but they sound amazing) or the ATH-WS55 for around $150...you can then have the best of both worlds.  

There was an ATH-ES55, which is supposed to be really good, on the sales forum yesterday for $30.  That would leave you with $120 which you could use to buy an EPH-100, GR07 or TF10 (or whatever IEM you think will suit your needs, you can get a good used pair for $120 or less).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back