Best (closed) headphones for $100?
Nov 23, 2001 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Mesiaz

New Head-Fier
Hi
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm new around here. For a long time I've wanted some good headphones, and I think I want some closed ones or a pair with good isolation. I'd spent around $100 for a pair, question is which pair. I listen to all sorts of music, rock, ambient and techno (very bass heavy), so I guess I'd need a good alround pair.

My impression of the Grado series is that it has a high sound-leakage, is that true?

Occasionaly I might use the headphones for my discman, so if they weren't all too big it would be nice :)

Suggestions?

Nov 23, 2001 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 21
Oh, and one more thing.

The Sony MDR-V6 and the Sony MDR-7506 are the same thing. The only difference is the name and the fact that the 7506 has a gold plug while the V6 does not. However, the price difference is pretty big as the 7506 cost a lot more for some dumb reason (it's Sony!). They both look and sound the same other than that.

Nov 23, 2001 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 21
Yes, the V6's are closed. I don't know if they "out perform" the Grados, they sound completely different. But if you are looking for minimum sound leakage, go with the V6s.

Ok, time to lock the thread.
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2001 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 21
SR80 are great but most definitely not closed. Major sound leakage...both in and out. Fairly bright too. imo, the V6's have more bass response. Ideal for commuting. They cost $69 and are extremely durable. SR80's, although wonderfully musical, seem to have that "Grado cheap build" feel to them. Also, probably not as comfortable as your V6...imho.

Nov 23, 2001 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 21
for the money, they're hard to beat. We've all been buying them here for $69. They are very popular around these parts. If you really don't like them, you could probably sell them in a few minutes to someone on this board if you post them in the for sale area. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back