Best "closed" headphone?
Mar 1, 2009 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

VoLTaG3

Banned
Can you guys recommend me some really good "closed" headphones. Not to big on size since I'm looking forward to going outside with them. The amp I'm planning to use with them are the RSA P-51 Mustang.
The things I really need are:
  1. Naturalness, detailed, and huge soundstage...basically the best sound quality!!
  2. Good noise isolation
  3. Not too huge but if the size is really going to need to be big to provide something good, I'll take it...
  4. Detachable cables

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 15
You just described the Ultrasone PRO 900. Best open or closed headphone I have ever heard
smily_headphones1.gif

JVC DX1000 may be a good alternative as well from reports but that is in ED 9 price range of course almost. May not be as portable from the looks on it.

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 15
Ultrasone Pro 900's. Excelent Bass, Surprisingly real mids, A bit sbiliant in the highs, but I'm an EQ proponent. Good size, foldable, detachable cable with many aftermarket OFC cable upgrades availl, well thought out carrying case.
It's my second favorite to my Denons AHD5k's but samller and snugger fit. (The denons are bit too loose for moving about)

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just described the Ultrasone PRO 900. Best open or closed headphone I have ever heard
smily_headphones1.gif

JVC DX1000 may be a good alternative as well from reports but that is in ED 9 price range of course almost. May not be as portable from the looks on it.

Jinx You owe me a beer !

Scary, We were typing the pro900's at the same time. Can't say enough about them.

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 15
Ok, Thanks so much guys!!! Also how do you think these cans will pair with the RSA P-51 Mustang AMP? Will the AMP allow these cans to shine? Also whats the recommended burn in time for these cans? Thanks!

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 15
I have no experience with the amp in question but you need one that can output a lot of current. As for amp I would suggest a rather neutral not to warm amp to go with them. But you can kee mod them which makes them brighter overall if you find them a bit to much on the warm side with to much bass.

burn in time is excessive. For me they started to sing after about 150h of pink noise. 500h is commonly noted as well but well 150h pink noise and you are getting quite close to the final sound I do believe.

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard many ultrasones need a ton of burn in, and they keep getting better even after that.

Oh, ok. I plan on buying the Ultrasone PRO 900's and the RSA P-51 Mustang and using the Mustang with my Shure SE530s for a month and let my 900s burn in for that time period...

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, Thanks so much guys!!! Also how do you think these cans will pair with the RSA P-51 Mustang AMP? Will the AMP allow these cans to shine?

The RSA Mustang is awesome with my Edition 9 so I presume that this amp will be a great combination with the PRO 900.

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 15
After being at Head-fi for a little while I decide a needed a little "taste of the Tubes" but I knew I couldn't go out and buy a 1,500.00 tube amp that weighs more than my first wife so I got a Head-Direct EF-1 Tube/SS hybrid and the Ultrasones and Denons are really loving the warm weather.
If you decide to go tubes, It's a great starter tube amp with many "Tube Rolling" options.

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 15
BeyerDynamic DT150.
* Naturalness, detailed, and huge soundstage...basically the best sound quality!!: check
* Good noise isolation: check
* Not too huge but if the size is really going to need to be big to provide something good, I'll take it...: well, they look a bit dorky
* Detachable cables: check

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BeyerDynamic DT150.
* Naturalness, detailed, and huge soundstage...basically the best sound quality!!: check
* Good noise isolation: check
* Not too huge but if the size is really going to need to be big to provide something good, I'll take it...: well, they look a bit dorky
* Detachable cables: check

x 2 resoundingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back