Best closed-headphone under $250 for EDM/dubstep with Nexus 5/no-amp?
Nov 30, 2013 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ilpomo

New Head-Fier
Hi to all,

this is my first post. For some time I'm documenting to buy a pair of headphones. I've read many posts in this section, in which was basically asked the same question, but I decided to open this thread simply because my needs are not exactly the same as other users.

Below, my essential needs:

1) I'am looking for the highest possible sound insulation.
2) The headphones should be durable.
3) I'll use the headphones rarely at home, but always when I go out, especially at the gym. I am looking for comfortable headphones that don't hurt me after a few hours.
4) I think I prefer headphones that completely surround the ear and not that rest just above it.
5) I listen mainly EDM and dubstep, but I'm not looking for headphones that emphasize the bass.
6) I only listen MP3, lately just by streaming services like SoundCloud and Google Play Music.
7) I don't want to use a portable amp.
8) I don't want to spend more than $250/€200.

Below the list of products that in my ignorance I could find:

1) AKG K551
2) Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (32 ohms)
3) Focal Spirit One
4) Pioneer HDJ-1500
5) Shure SRH750DJ
6) Ultrasone HFI 680
7) Ultrasone PRO 550

Thank you all for the advice and sorry for my inaccurate english.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #2 of 13
  Hi to all,

this is my first post. For some time I'm documenting to buy a pair of headphones. I've read many posts in this section, in which was basically asked the same question, but I decided to open this thread simply because my needs are not exactly the same as other users.

Below, my essential needs:

1) I'am looking for the highest possible sound insulation.
2) The headphones should be durable.
3) I'll use the headphones rarely at home, but always when I go out, especially at the gym. I am looking for comfortable headphones that don't hurt me after a few hours.
4) I think I prefer headphones that completely surround the ear and not that rest just above it.
5) I listen mainly EDM and dubstep, but I'm not looking for headphones that emphasize the bass.
6) I only listen MP3, lately just by streaming services like SoundCloud and Google Play Music.
7) I don't want to use a portable amp.
8) I don't want to spend more than $250/€200.

Below the list of products that in my ignorance I could find:

1) AKG K551
2) Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (32 ohms)
3) Focal Spirit One
4) Pioneer HDJ-1500
5) Shure SRH750DJ
6) Ultrasone HFI 680
7) Ultrasone PRO 550

Thank you all for the advice and sorry for my inaccurate english.

If you can find it the

Logitech UE 6000 would be super duper! Cheap, No amp needed and sounds GOOD and they cover your entire ear and sounds nice with Dub Step! 

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 13
  So what? No other suggestions?

They look better in person imo. Additionally Beats also look like toys...and ppl seem to love those!  

How ever the Newest edition of the Sound Magic HP 100 should be nice as well, in addition to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 along with the DT 1350. I don't think the 770 Pro 80 NEEDS an amp but having one wouldn't hurt at all. 

There is also the Shure 840 and if you are REALLY lucky you can get a used Denon 2k for around $280ish A little over your budget but a very good headphone indeed 

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 13
  They look better in person imo. Additionally Beats also look like toys...and ppl seem to love those!  

How ever the Newest edition of the Sound Magic HP 100 should be nice as well, in addition to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 along with the DT 1350. I don't think the 770 Pro 80 NEEDS an amp but having one wouldn't hurt at all. 

There is also the Shure 840 and if you are REALLY lucky you can get a used Denon 2k for around $280ish A little over your budget but a very good headphone indeed 

There is a particular difference beetwen the DT 770 Pro 80 and DT 770 Pro 32? I mean, in terms of sound quality...

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 13

There is a particular difference beetwen the DT 770 Pro 80 and DT 770 Pro 32? I mean, in terms of sound quality...

the Pro 80 version is bass heavier than the 250 600 and 32 variants 

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 13

And do you think that having a Nexus 5 as source will not impact on sound volume?

Ehh it might.

Still though looks aside the UE 6000 is really a very good choice! It sounds great and is built a lot better than it appears 

you could also maybe try a Vmoda used M300 or Yamaha PRO 500

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #10 of 13
  Ehh it might.

Still though looks aside the UE 6000 is really a very good choice! It sounds great and is built a lot better than it appears 

you could also maybe try a Vmoda used M300 or Yamaha PRO 500

I'm not questioning UE6000 sound and build quality, but I already know that due to their design I'll feel embarassed for weraing them in public. And its the same for Vmoda (and Beats). I think that the design of all these products is too showy.

Reading this forum a lot of users suggest to buy the DT 770 Pro 80 ohms, so in case which amp I need to power them properly?

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 13

I'm not questioning UE6000 sound and build quality, but I already know that due to their design I'll feel embarassed for weraing them in public. And its the same for Vmoda (and Beats). I think that the design of all these products is too showy.

Reading this forum a lot of users suggest to buy the DT 770 Pro 80 ohms, so in case which amp I need to power them properly?

Yea the beyers are very classic looking. Very simplistic

Did I mention the Sound Magic HP 100? It should have a nice bassy sound and it's also classic looking

That said, for the 80Ohm I'd try a Fiio E11 it should stack nice with Phone or tablet... as it's pretty small 

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #12 of 13
  Yea the beyers are very classic looking. Very simplistic

Did I mention the Sound Magic HP 100? It should have a nice bassy sound and it's also classic looking

That said, for the 80Ohm I'd try a Fiio E11 it should stack nice with Phone or tablet... as it's pretty small 

I think that for my tipical use the E11 might be too big. Reading the web people said that the Snapdragon 800 MSM8974 is a good source considering that it's a smartphone SoC, a better source comparing it to other high-end smartphone. So, now I'm in doubt to purchase the 80 ohms or 32 ohms version...the problem is that this will be my first headphone, so I don't have any idea of the volume output with 80 ohms...

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #13 of 13

I think that for my tipical use the E11 might be too big. Reading the web people said that the Snapdragon 800 MSM8974 is a good source considering that it's a smartphone SoC, a better source comparing it to other high-end smartphone. So, now I'm in doubt to purchase the 80 ohms or 32 ohms version...the problem is that this will be my first headphone, so I don't have any idea of the volume output with 80 ohms...

I think you should be fine with 80 ohms. Your best bet is to buy new, there are a number of stores that offer returns for online purchases. 

I have mentioned the D2k correct, that would be another good can that is about $50 above ur price range, and it would not need an amp. There are also a number of offerings by Ultrasone that you could look into as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back