Best closed headphone for under $200, please give some advice?
Jun 4, 2012 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rurmann

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, Im looking to buy some headphones with really good quality for under 200 bucks. I was originally going to get a pair of refurbished sennheiser hd 598's but then I learned that they are open, Although they will be mostly used at my dorm, but I still dont want to annoy my room mate. I listen to all types of music but I want a headphone that can handle some bass because I think I lean toward the electonic genre. So any advice on your favorite closed headphones would be  awesome! 

Thanks, Reed

P.S. is it advisable to get refurbished Equipment? I heard that They can someimes be better because they will fix any defects?

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 9
A good choice for you is the Ultrasone HFI-780. It's closed, bassy but not too bassy, and has the crispness necessary for electronica.

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 9
all good recs, i think the ultrasones and the beyer is probably the way to go (having heard neither)

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks guys, 
Another thing is that I already have a pair of closed headphones the Sony mdr-V6's  and while not nearly the quality of the Ultrasone HFI-780  i was thinking about seeing the difference between open and closed. because I can go out with the sony's around my neck but i would like a pair of cans that can be the best in a dorm. and i mean the best sound for the money ($200)

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 9
surprised nobody gave the usual ATH-M50 recommendation.  so I will.  for the price ($150), they're comfy, closed, great sound and bass, not too heavy, and fold down to portable size, and have the nice screw-on type jack adapter. (and includes a leather soft case)

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 9
For something both open and bassy in your price, the one absolutely great option is the Fischer Audio FA-011. Looking closed, I'd still go with the HFI-780.

The ATH-M50 is a bit over a sane price for it in today's market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back