best closed headphone for around $75
Nov 13, 2003 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

BigBusiness

New Head-Fier
Hi im pretty new here and i was wondering if someone could help me out with this..

im looking for closed headphones that need to sound good but my secondary concern is comefort.

i would use these for gaming alot but the music i listen to is mostley rap and alternative, some metal.

i would like to stay away from needing an amp as i don't know much about these
confused.gif

looking at spending roughly around $75

thanks alot

Nov 13, 2003 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 21
oh yeah, i was at the local radio shack today and i listened to the Sennheiser 500 wich sounded really good but was open.

i also listened to the KOSS pro 3AA wich i didn't like as much as the sennheiser.

other then that i don't really know what im looking for

Nov 13, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 21
I tried the Koss 3AA and it was bad. Very boomy, very sizzly, uhg uhg uhg. What were they thinking. The Senn 500 is generally not too well-liked on these Boards, but I've never heard it.

For your taste in music, for $75, I'd strongly recommend the Sony V6s.
smily_headphones1.gif

The other contender in that price range, which I actually like better, is the Senn HD280.

People just go on and on and on and on and on and on and on about which of the two is better. But I think those are your contenders.
biggrin.gif

Either way, I think you're going to have something much better than a Senn 500.
600smile.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999

For your taste in music, for $75, I'd strongly recommend the Sony V6s.
smily_headphones1.gif

i have them too, id recomend them for the price

Nov 13, 2003 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 21
i would recommend the 280s over the v6 if you were using them for in-home only. otherwise i would recommend the v6 because the 280s are just too plain ugly to wear around. you might want to look into a used pair of eggos as well

Nov 13, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 21
I'll second the recommendation for either the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (my first choice) or the Sony V6 (not the V-600).
280smile.gif

-EDIT-

Many of us have gotten Guitar Center to sell the HD 280 Pro for $69.99. They sound really good with your music types and after a week or two they are as comfy as a nice pair of gloves/shoes. They are very easy to drive, and have great positioning as well.

Nov 13, 2003 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper994

Many of us have gotten Guitar Center to sell the HD 280 Pro for $69.99. They sound really good with your music types and after a week or two they are as comfy as a nice pair of gloves/shoes. They are very easy to drive, and have great positioning as well.

This guy knows his way around a good pair of 280's.
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #8 of 21
The HD-280 Pro is a great pair of cans at that price point. Tight, controlled, deep although not very emphasized bass. Smooth highs & mids. Very good isolation, rugged build, collapsible. What's not to love?
280smile.gif

--Chris

Nov 13, 2003 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 21
the hd280's (my preference) have crazy low low bass extension, the v6's have the midbass hump everyone likes.

If the v6 isolates anything like the v600, then the hd280 wins in this area.

Nov 13, 2003 at 8:04 AM Post #10 of 21
I'd say V6 all the way. Both the V6 and the 280 can produce deep bass but, in my opinion, the bass of the 280 is far too recessed for it to really matter (although its bass does sound cleaner than the bass of the V6). The V6 are also smaller and so are more portable, are less goofy looking.

I prefer the D66 Eggos over the V6 but they are out of your price range unless you buy them used. But they also have weaker (although more realisitic) sounding bass and don't isolate as well as the V6. PX200s are good cans as well (I like them as much as the V6)--but they may be too bass lite for your musical tastes. They also don't isolate all that well but they are really cheap-- $30 at ecost.com . If you can sacrifice comfort you may also want to check out the Shure E2. The are ear canal phones and have nice, full bass and provide more isolation than all of the above mentioned cans.

Nov 13, 2003 at 10:09 AM Post #11 of 21
I really like the bass on the 280's, they just don't have the mid-bass bloat/hump that many headphones do.
280smile.gif
The low bass is to die for... My jaw litterally dropped when I ran a Boston Acoustics Bass Test on them...
basshead.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 10:10 AM Post #12 of 21
i was in the same boat as you two years ago. got the mdr-7506's (same as v6's). believe me... that was the day i started truely "enjoying" all my music. i even fell asleep with them on (still do) instead of turning on my hi-fi 200w sony stereo system or my 400w klipsh 4.1s for my comp. they are my babies. i am planning to get the shure e2's really soon, but that's for portablility use... not sure the shure's sound better then the v6's though.

the only problems so far with my sony's:
-comfort not THAT great, but still could wear for many hours and I was told they are more comfortable then grado sr-60's
-need to replace pads
-lost my gold 1/4" adaptor (but thats just me
rolleyes.gif
)
-cord can be too long, but great for computer (i play counter-strike now most of the time with them on... can hear and detect where the slightest footsteps are... then i rape and get called a hacker)

still haven't tried the Beyerdynamic pad swap, but heard comfort, isolation, and it's sweet bass gets even better. try searching the forum there's tons on it.

Nov 13, 2003 at 11:43 PM Post #14 of 21
Strickly speaking the HD497s aren't closed cans, they're open. They do seem to leak less sound than most open cans, though. Personally I didn't care for the sound of either the 497s or the DT231s but that's just me--I found them lacking in clarity. The 231s though have a nice warm character to their sound while the 497s just have an odd sounding boominess--an odd, offcolor, timbre to their midrange and bass. The 497s have nice highs, though, while the highs on the 231s are rolled off.

Nov 14, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #15 of 21
For true closed cans in that price range, I would also check out the Sony V6 and the Senn 280. I own and enjoy both. The V6 is brighter with deep bass response, strong midbass, but recessed mids. The 280 is more balanced with a better soundstage, but the bass is not as deep or strong as the V6 (not weak, just not as pronounced as the V6). I generally prefer the V6 (with replacement pads) for rock, but it can sound a bit harsh from a bright source. For classical or instrumental jazz, the 280 is my choice. (BTW- Having tested both with test-tones from a CD, the bass rolls off in the 280's at around 30-35 Hz while the V6 goes perhaps 5 Hz lower.)

FYI- Senn has 2 versions of the 280. For use without an amp, stick with the more common 64 ohm version.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back