Best closed headphone for ~$200?
May 15, 2007 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

elbrickodaviso

100+ Head-Fier
The contenders I know of are the lower-end Denons, the Beyerdynamic DT770/80, or audio-technica a900. My other cans are AKG K701s, and while I am absolutely floored with their sound, I'd like a closed headphone to block out the noise in my household...and this can might as well pack a nice bass punch as a release from the AKGs
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone have experience with these, or have any other recommendations?

May 15, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #5 of 9
For an extra hundred you can get Denon AH-D2000 which out of all closed headphones under $500 impressed me the most.
The cheaper contender, if you have an amp, would be AKG-K271S, other than that it's hard to beat A900 in unamped application.
But Denon is head and shoulders above both, different league altogether.

May 16, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 9
DT770/80s if you're looking to get punched by bass. I've accidently listened to them at high volumes and gotten whacked with sound on more than one occasion. Great isolation and comfort to boot. I've tried the AT A900s, and they're a lot more balanced, but after growing accustomed to the head shaking bass from the DT770s, I felt something was missing.

May 16, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by funnelchest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT770/80s if you're looking to get punched by bass. I've accidently listened to them at high volumes and gotten whacked with sound on more than one occasion. Great isolation and comfort to boot. I've tried the AT A900s, and they're a lot more balanced, but after growing accustomed to the head shaking bass from the DT770s, I felt something was missing.

DT770's are awesome. I was also blasted at the music store. They had their mixer on max - I plugged in, and BOOM. "Don'cha wish your girlfriend was...."

They're excellent headphones, though.

- lk

May 16, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #8 of 9
Is there any way you can try out either of them? It's trickier to try an A900, but if there's a Guitar Center around the might still have a demo pair of DT770-80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back