Best closed Headphone ~ $ 220
May 25, 2014 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

fludwig

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

as the title allready says, I am searching for closed headphones. I will be using them on public transport with my Galaxy S III (70 %) and at home at the PC and the Marantz SR4021. At the moment I use the Sennheiser HD 448 at home and the Brainwavz R1 on the go. They are ok, but not great. Generally I prefere over ear headphones because my ears seem not compatible to IEM's. It just hurts after a few minutes.

For now I am searching for headphone wich are a little bassy and strong in the other sound ranges.

I've been listening to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 at a local dealer, they were pretty good (nice bass) and felt very smooth on my ears but I guess there might be better HV for my budget.

My prefered music: Rap (40 %), Electronic (30 %), Rock (20 %), Pop (10 %).

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

May 25, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 15
May 25, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 15
  Hello everyone,

as the title allready says, I am searching for closed headphones. I will be using them on public transport with my Galaxy S III (70 %) and at home at the PC and the Marantz SR4021. At the moment I use the Sennheiser HD 448 at home and the Brainwavz R1 on the go. They are ok, but not great. Generally I prefere over ear headphones because my ears seem not compatible to IEM's. It just hurts after a few minutes.

For now I am searching for headphone wich are a little bassy and strong in the other sound ranges.

I've been listening to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 at a local dealer, they were pretty good (nice bass) and felt very smooth on my ears but I guess there might be better HV for my budget.

My prefered music: Rap (40 %), Electronic (30 %), Rock (20 %), Pop (10 %).

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Hi,

Beyerdynamic DT770 (250 or 80 Ohm versions) need some extra amplification to give their best.
You should read about AudioTechnica WS-99, NAD Viso HP-50.

You could also consider Logitech UE6000
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Best Luck!

May 25, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 15
  If thought like the 80 Ohm version was loud enough. Is the volume the limiting factor you are talking about or others like sound quality without amp?

Based on sensitivity or efficiency specs and/or measurements (innerfidelity for example) and making some math you'll find that it is pretty easy to reach loud levels (lets say 100dB) with most 'hard to drive' headphones (specially when reproducing modern recordings with low dynamic range)

In my experience this is true, but sound quality is noticeably better when using proper amplification with this kind of headphones. Some people could not agree with me, and this is a quite controversial topic most of the times, because output power is not the only difference when you switch from 'unamped' to 'amped'.
Different Amps have different sound signature, different output impedances, etc.
Even 'unamped' isn't well defined, because the audio output of laptop 1 could be better in comparison with laptop 2, and then people with laptop 1 and people with laptop 2 could have different opinions about 'unamped' vs 'amped'.

I can reach my normal listening levels plugging my DT880 250 Ohm to the audio output of my Toshiba Satellite, but I found their sound definitely more engaging when using them with my Fiio E07K. And even noticeably more engaging when plugged into my Yamaha A-S500 headphone out. (Better soundstage, fuller tone, tighter bass, etc)

May 25, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 15
Thank you for your explaining post.
Another option I have is to buy the DT 770 because they seemed pretty decent and I have not the opportunity to test all the headphones wich are mentioned above and buy (after a period of time) an amp.
By the way: I tested the ATH M50 and the DT 770 (same songs via Galaxy S III) and found the DT 770 to have a little cleaner highs.

May 25, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 15
Thank you for your explaining post.
Another option I have is to buy the DT 770 because they seemed pretty decent and I have not the opportunity to test all the headphones wich are mentioned above and buy (after a period of time) an amp.

+1

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 15
Hi there, 

I've been listening to some headphones lately to find my favorit. Before I buy them, I wanted to ask if there is any headphone which I should try before buying (most certainly) the DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm. 

I've tested:

- ATH M50: they were ok, soundstage could be better
- HD 25 1-II: perfect sound, but uncomfortable because I don't like on ears
- AKG K267 Tiesto: dindn't like the sound
- AKG K271 Mk II: very clear sound, analytic but unfortunatley very little bass
- DT 770 Pro: best comfort, great bass and highs, a little weak mids

Thinking about it for a while, I found the K271 Mk II and the DT 770 were most suitable for me.
So if you've got any last recommendations let me know. Thanks! 

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 15
After a few days of using my new DT 770 Pro 80 I can defenetly confirm that they need amplification to sound best! I love listening to them on my Amplifier (Marantz SR 4021) but using them on my S3 along with Viper4Android FX and Boeffla Kernel is not nearly as good as with an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back