Best Closed Ear Headphones for Portable Listening?
Mar 4, 2005 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rockphantom

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy,

I am looking to pick up some new closed ear headphones for my portable music needs. I have been using a pair of Sony MDR-CD380s for the last 4 years, and would like to get some new phones to go along with my new portable.

Not big on buds or in ear pieces.

My budget allows me to spend $60 for new headphones. What do you recommend for someone who listens to music on portable devices for 3-4 hours a day, and sometimes in sweltering heat? Must have great sound, be both comfortable & rugged as I spend much time outdoors.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Milan

Mar 4, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 14
I like my MDR-EX71's they have worked for me pretty well.
woops I didn't really read that... closed... [size=xx-small]what an oof...[/size]

Mar 4, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 14
Many would recommend Sennheiser HD 25s - haven't heard them myself. The only problem is they're more like $150 IIRC.

Mar 4, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 14
I've heard good things about the Sennheiser PX200- they are in your price range. Haven't heard them yet, though.

Mar 4, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 14
Based on your needs and preferences, i.e. no buds/canalphones, need closed, need portable, around $60, I would recommend the Sony MDR-V6.

Why?
-quite easily driven by any portable
-it's closed
-not too bulky
-fairly rugged as far as headphones go
-rolls up into a ball
-you can probably find it used for around $60

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 14
The Sony MDR-V6 sound very appealing!
I can get them for $73 shipped and they seem worth the extra cash.
I look at the specs on Sony's site and was impressed.
I assume that the Sony MDR-V600 is the same model, as that is the closet match on the Sony site.

I am getting a Sony D-NE920 CD walkman and hope to get some top quality phones to go with them.

Thanks!

Milan

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 14
I've learned that the V6 and V600 are two completely different models.
I will order pair of the original V6 model this weekend, unless anyone can come up with a reason not too
k1000smile.gif

Thanks!

Milan

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 14
I am pretty satisfied with the sony d66sl's ("eggos") that I just got, though I've never heard these other phones being mentioned. They're small and very comfortable, and sound good. They are out of your price range new, but on here they can be gotten used for ~$55.

Mar 5, 2005 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockphantom
My budget allows me to spend $60 for new headphones.

beyerdynamic )))) dt231

Imo best sounding budget sealed phones, but isolate as good as open phones though. Or maybe you want to try one of those sealed Koss.

Mar 6, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 14
The problem with most of the recommendations is that they're either not closed or not portable. I kind of like the pcx250; the bass is a little lacking, like the 200, but the active noise cancellation is just too cool. You can get them refurbished with full 2 year warranty for $80 at Audio Advisor atm. I dont think they sound quite as good as the $20 KSC-75's, but I've yet to hear a better closed portable headphone.

Mar 6, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #14 of 14
I'm luvin' my Sony CD380s, and I'd love to use them as a portable solution but they're open and very loud. I use EX71SLs when I go out, but I really want to get portable headphones aswell as I like the look of wearing headphones, and it's hard to talk and listen to my friends with my EXs even with just one canalphone in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back