Best closed cans?
Jun 22, 2006 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

audiopete

New Head-Fier
I'm not sure which are the best portable, inexpensive and closed cans out there but all I found around me (nearby stores) was the AKG K81 DJs, Sennheiser HD 280 Pros, Ultrasone DJ1 HFI-500 and the Beyerdynamic DT 250s (at an extremly high price).

I just want to know which of these have the best sound from a unamped source and maybe the best value as well.

Are the Senn 280s an audiophile sounding headphone? How about the Beyer 250s?

Thanks,
Pete
580smile.gif

Jun 22, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 10
I was infact on this quest not too long ago. I finally settled on Beyerdynamic DT 770/80s, however I did have a pair of DT250/250s, but they were stolen. They were very nice headphones, but I feel that the 770s have better soundquality and impact. I have also owned some A900s, PM me if you want more extensive detailing otherwise there is an extensive closed headphone reveiw here.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130998

You are very welcome.

Jun 22, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 10
So funny. I'm auditioning phones for home use and it's just making me more frustrated with the terrible Sony closed headphones I have at work. So now those have to be replaced also. Neither of the two phones I'm considering here (Grado SR60 and Senn 595, and KSC-35s on the way) can be used at work because of their open/leaky design(s).

What have I gotten myself into with this headphone thing?

Jun 22, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks
So funny. I'm auditioning phones for home use and it's just making me more frustrated with the terrible Sony closed headphones I have at work. So now those have to be replaced also. Neither of the two phones I'm considering here (Grado SR60 and Senn 595, and KSC-35s on the way) can be used at work because of their open/leaky design(s).

What have I gotten myself into with this headphone thing?

Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet!

It is going to get worse from here on in as you will probably be wanting a set of closed portable 'phones for work, and you'll also want to be trying out a set of canalphones for whan you want something more discreet looking. By the time you're done with those two upgradeitis will have struck on your home phones..........

Simon

Jun 22, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 10
The k81dj's - incredible value. Music has a lot of kick and presense. Loses some "smoothness" in return. These are my favorites, as I like my music to sound exciting.

Senn 280's - when I tried these out I found they lack detail in the vocals I like, so I didn't buy them.

Beyer 250 - I have the 250-80's, and I found their sound laid back and boring. They have the detail on everything, which is cool, but my music definitely sounds a lot less exciting then the k81dj's. I currently own the 250-80's, but I rarely if ever use them any more.

Can't comment on the ultrasone as I haven't used it.

Jun 22, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 10
I have the Beyer DT831's and absolutely love them. Some people find them too bright but I use them with a very warm amp and they sound fantastic. They are super detailed with good soundstage. They have great bass extension but not a lot of slam.

Jun 22, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkadelic
Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet!

It is going to get worse from here on in as you will probably be wanting a set of closed portable 'phones for work, and you'll also want to be trying out a set of canalphones for whan you want something more discreet looking. By the time you're done with those two upgradeitis will have struck on your home phones..........

Simon

I regret the day I bought a pair of decent (not even that great) Koss Pro3 A titaniums. I'm not being sarcastic either. I can not listen to music through earbuds or any other cheap pair of phones (except the Koss KSC series).

Jun 23, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Preshure0617
HD25- blows the 280 away (though unamped, the 280 is verrrry good)

I just changed the pads on mine to velour and they're even better.

Ian

Jun 23, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm not a big HD280 fan. I'm pretty sure that's where music goes to die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back