Best Closed Cans up to $150?
Aug 2, 2009 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

leichnitz

100+ Head-Fier
I know someone just posted closed cans to $70, but those answers won't help me. I have Grado SR125s, which I find bright and don't want to repeat that experience. Need closed cans for work (home office, close to wife's home office desk), commuting, etc. Would really like to keep budget at $100, but willing to go to $150 for good result.

I have done some poking around here, and my thinking right now is as follows (but please chime in !) --

1. Senn HD25-1 DJ. Lots of fans here, durable, good sound. Would probably be my top pick except I haven't found in my budget (even used).

2. Dennon ADH 2000. Have found used in my budget, and again, lots of fans on this site, but nearly everyone describes as leaky. Don't want to bother the wife.

3. Ultrasone DJ-1. Seems like a real contender.

4. Audio Technica A700. Everyone raves about AD700, which is open, but reviews on the A700 seem mixed.

5. AKG 172 HD. Is it just me, or do these look really cool?

Anyway, I could really use some input. What would you guys buy? (I listen to mostly rock and alt- Belle and Sebastian, Elbow, The Smiths, Regina Spektor, Massive Attack, Polly Scattergood, Thievery Corporation, Flaming Lips, and when nostalgic, AD/DC and Led Zeppelin.) Source for these will be mostly lossless>PC (still in market for Dac) at office and iPhone when commuting.

Thanks,

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD25-1 II

Thanks so much! Invaluable!

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 24
I bought the HD25-1 last week and I HATE it!!!
duggehsmile.png
I would be willing to sell the HD25-1 to you for $150.

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 24
If you look at the Shure thread, I think they can be had for within your budget from certain vendors (I, of course, realized this too late and overpaid...)

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 24
Add the Shure SRH840 to your list; can be had for $129 shipped new.

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #10 of 24
I just listened to a pair of A700 and own AD700, the difference is night and day between the two so I sould suggest stearing clear of the A700. I won a pair of JVC DX1 and find they are very nice in all areas but the bass is a bit light which may or may not be a concern for you, the DX3 is supposed to fix the bass issues though so may be a better bet. The Shure SRH840 may very well be the best choice for your though especially for $130.

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 24
that $130 SRH840 sure is tempting.

I hope they are still that cheap when I decide I want to buy one.

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by leichnitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know someone just posted closed cans to $70, but those answers won't help me. I have Grado SR125s, which I find bright and don't want to repeat that experience. Need closed cans for work (home office, close to wife's home office desk), commuting, etc. Would really like to keep budget at $100, but willing to go to $150 for good result.

I have done some poking around here, and my thinking right now is as follows (but please chime in !) --

1. Senn HD25-1 DJ. Lots of fans here, durable, good sound. Would probably be my top pick except I haven't found in my budget (even used).

2. Dennon ADH 2000. Have found used in my budget, and again, lots of fans on this site, but nearly everyone describes as leaky. Don't want to bother the wife.

3. Ultrasone DJ-1. Seems like a real contender.

4. Audio Technica A700. Everyone raves about AD700, which is open, but reviews on the A700 seem mixed.

5. AKG 172 HD. Is it just me, or do these look really cool?

Anyway, I could really use some input. What would you guys buy? (I listen to mostly rock and alt- Belle and Sebastian, Elbow, The Smiths, Regina Spektor, Massive Attack, Polly Scattergood, Thievery Corporation, Flaming Lips, and when nostalgic, AD/DC and Led Zeppelin.) Source for these will be mostly lossless>PC (still in market for Dac) at office and iPhone when commuting.

Thanks,

You may want to seriously consider the Shure SRH840. They cost $200, but you can get JR audio to bring them down to $140 with shipping. Just call them, and tell them you saw it for $129 at RMC audio.

RMC audio might still have them for $129, but you have to click on the link for "Best Price". Mine are going to arrive on Tuesday.

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may want to seriously consider the Shure SRH840. They cost $200, but you can get JR audio to bring them down to $140 with shipping. Just call them, and tell them you saw it for $129 at RMC audio.

RMC audio might still have them for $129, but you have to click on the link for "Best Price". Mine are going to arrive on Tuesday.

Thanks for that extremely helpful info. I think I am going to follow your advice.

Aug 4, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #14 of 24
I vote for hd25 with the hd600 cable.
THe steel cable is great when you use the phone in a club and the cable end up taking a beating every week.
But its really not suited for quality listening, and its only a 16$ upgrade.
The hd25 is the studiest headphone I've ever put on my ears, and I've seen a few pairs that were 8+ yrs old.
But the 840 at less than 160$ could be a very good deal too, never tried it. It does have one annoying aspect, the long coiled cable, if your were planning to use it in a potable rig you'd probably have to get a new shorter cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back