Best Closed Cans Under $150
Apr 18, 2008 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

berndawg3

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm here at this forum per recommendation since I hear I'll get the best answers here. I'm looking to get into high-quality audio, but I'm really new in this sect. I'm planning a computer build that I'll be putting together in late May. I'll be getting the Auzentech Prelude. I'll have a Sony HT system for my normal 5.1, but I want some nice headphones for late night use and for my dorm room. I wanted to go for open cans because my roommate agreed that a little noise leakage from headphones will be okay by him, but from what I've heard, open cans will leak a more than a "little noise." So it looks like I'm back to closed cans. I've tried to read up as much as I could, but I'm still not sure which one to choose so I figured I'd start a poll and get as much feedback as I can get.

These cans will be used for gaming, music (mainly all forms of rock), and movies. Comfort is also a big priority since I plan on wearing them for some pretty long sessions.

They will not be amped. However, I am confused if I plug these into the headphone port on my Sony HT, will that be the equivalent of amping? If not, I will just plug them straight into my prelude.

Finally, I can't go over $150. I'd prefer to be under $125, but if more money makes a big difference, then I'll make it happen. Thanks for the help guys!

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 13
Beyerdynamic DT 770 (250ohm) is what I have. Very happy with them. Great bass, yet it is very clear for me. The comfort can't be beaten. I can wear these cans for hours without taking a break...I mean like 5 or 6 hours straight...

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #10 of 13
There is also the Beyer DT-250 (80) which is very good or the closed ATH-A700. Both of those will be more comfortable than the ATH-ES7s however lots of people here love the ES7s. They have a certian midrange coloration that makes them very lively and upfront but at the expense of accuracy. They are also portable so you'd have that option.

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. It looked like the DT770s were going to be the best choice, but after reading reviews on them here, it seems they need to be amped. Now I'm still not sure if my HT system amps them or not, but I'd still prefer them to not need to be amped as I may (rarely) use them with my iPod. So what do you all think I should go for as my second choice?

Apr 19, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 13
Haven't heard any of the cans on your list but I'm kinda partial toward the AKG K81DJ.

Apr 19, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 13
ES7 all the way!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back