Best closed cans for under $75?
Jan 25, 2010 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

The Fire Snake

Head-Fier
I am basically looking for the best closed can I can get for under $75. I will be using it directly with an IPOD Classic 5th Gen(i.e. no amp/dac). The music I listen to is about 90% progressive house music from artists such as John Digweed, Sasha, Paul Oakenfold etc. The other 10% of the music I listen to is from Steely Dan, Depeche Mode, Metalica, and some hip hop.

Could you guys recommend the best cans at this price point and that can be driven well with my Ipod? I was thinking of getting the JVC HARX700, as I have read very good things about it on this site and others. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Second option will be the M-50 on ebay $95 with free shipping.

Always taking the opportunity to pimp the M50s.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 16
The Shure that was mentioned above looks very interesting. I will have to check the others out that you guys mentioned. I don't like Sonys in general, so they are out. How does the JVC HARX700 compare?

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 16
Spring for the Audio-Technica M50s you wont be disappointed.

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRookie52 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spring for the Audio-Technica M50s you wont be disappointed.

Ok, I will take a look at these as well. What is the difference between the M50 and M50s?

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 16
M50s has straight cable, M50 is coiled cable. If you plan to move around a lot the M50s is probably the better potion. If you are stationary in one spot a lot coiled is probably better.

I should also point out that if you are going to listen to House a lot the M50s are probably better. M50s work great with House music (I am a House listener too). Have not given the SRH440 a listen but I heard they are a little weak on the bass, so I can't imagine enjoying House music in that case.

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 16
Oakenfold and Sasha will sound great on those M50
biggrin.gif
You can get them off ebay for $90. They also will sound nice out of just an ipod/mp3 player. Denon D1001 or Creative Aurvana Live will also sound quite nice, though will have a different sound than the M50. If you get lucky, you may also be able to find an Ultrasone for under $100. All three definitely deserve a listen, and anyone pair could be your favorite. I think the M50 are probably the most universally liked compared to the Ultrasones. The Denon or CAL! are also quite liked by many. It just takes a certain kind of preference to enjoy the Ultrasones, but I love them more than any other pair I've listened to with Oakenfold, Sasha, Hybrid, Crystal Method or Fluke playing. I say try the M50, and keep the Denon/Creative and Ultrasone in mind when you go to try new stuff.

Enjoy
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I saw your other thread in where you mentioned you were unimpressed with the Ultrasone sound. I would probably still look at the M50, maybe give the Denon/Creative a try later on.

Personally, I would never completely judge a headphone unless I had it in my listening area, listening to my music, in my desired file format, in my ideal listening atmosphere. I won't say that will change your view on a headphone necessarily, but for me, it allows me to make a sound judgment. Kind of like people who shop in store and end up buying stuff they originally didn't intend to buy
frown.gif
That's why I do shopping online from my computer, where I feel comfortable and not pressured. I feel the same way with listening to headphones. Regardless, you should happy about what ever you decide to get, and don't feel like you made a bad purchase. Let the music decide
redface.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fire Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shure that was mentioned above looks very interesting. I will have to check the others out that you guys mentioned. I don't like Sonys in general, so they are out. How does the JVC HARX700 compare?

I agree with the Shure part; however, I'm curious, which models of Sony have you heard?

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 16
I think you will have a hard time finding the ATH-M50 from an authorized dealer for under $75. Same with the SRH-440, although they are both great options if you are willing to pay more. If you are serious about under $75, I suggest the DT-235.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 16
Well the SRH440 can be had from amazon at 85. This site has them for 71, though I don't know if they're reliable or not: Shure SRH440 Professional Studio Headphones

You really can't go wrong with the RX700 in most instances. If you don't like them(which is rare), at least your wallet didn't take a huge hit. They headphones are huge and the 11 foot power cable is no joke lol.

Under 75 for those genres I'll suggest the CAL!, RX700s, ATH-FC700(a) s, or PX200-IIs.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the SRH440 can be had from amazon at 85.

Those are sold by Z Electria, which I highly doubt is an authorized dealer. Amazon sells them for $99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back